The 2011 Bogotá Open women’s main draw singles matches will begin on Monday 14 February at 10am local time. There are 32 main draw spots divided up between 4 Qualifiers (Q), 3 Wild Cards (WC) and 25 Direct Acceptances. Bogotá is WTA International category tournament played on clay courts from February 12-20.
The total prize money for the 2011 Bogotá tournament is $220,000 US dollars. The centre court has a seating capacity of 2,800 and is called Cancha Central. The official tournament name is Copa BBVA Colsanitas and the last direct acceptance into the draw was Eva BIRNEROVA of the Czech Republic who was ranked No.150 at the cut-off date.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage.
The Seeds: In a 32-player sized draw there are 8 seeded players. This means that all of the 8 seeds are separated in the draw so they play two rounds against lower ranked opponents who are unseeded, before they can meet another seed in the quarter finals. The seeding for the Bogotá Open is allocated according to the latest WTA rankings before the draw is made. These latest rankings were released on Monday 7 February.
The 2011 Bogotá Open women’s singles seeds are:
1-Julia GOERGES, 2-Polona HERCOG, 3-Simona HALEP, 4-Aranxta PARRA SANTONJA, 5-Carla SUAREZ NAVARRO, 6-Edina GALLOVITS-HALL, 7-Lourdes DOMINGUEZ LINO and 8-Anabel MEDINA GARRIGUES.
The Wild Cards: The 3 wild cards were awarded to Columbia’s Catalina CASTANO and two Spaniards Leticia COSTAS-MOREIRA and Laura POUS-TIO.
The Qualifiers: The 32-player qualifying tournament begins on Saturday 12 February and concludes on Monday 14 February. The names of the 4 qualifiers have been added into their allocated spots in the draw below. The qualifiers are-> Sharon FICHMAN, Bianca BOTTO, Corinna DENTONI and Beatriz GARCIA VIDAGANY.
Pictured above is the 20-year-old Polona Hercog as she is preparing to play this forehand drive. Slovenia’s No.1 ranked player is the No.2 seed for Bogotá and is a player on the rise. With a strong performance this week Hercog can achieve a new career-high ranking, she has everything to gain because she lost in the 1st round in 2010.
The 1.82m Hercog is currently ranked at No.49 and she first achieved her career-high ranking thus far of No.43 on 13 September 2010. Her best Grand Slam singles result to date was making the 3rd round at Roland Garros in 2010.
The draw for the seeded players IF they all win through to the quarter finals is:
- Julia GOERGES (1) v (5) Carla SUAREZ NAVARRO
- Simona HALEP (3) v (8) Anabel MEDINA GARRIGUES
- Lourdes DOMINGUEZ LINO (7) v (4) Arantxa PARRA SANTONJA
- Edina GALLOVITS-HALL (6) v (2) Polona HERCOG
The 2011 Bogotá Open women’s singles draw for the 1st round is:
- Julia GOERGES (1) v Olivia SANCHEZ
- Mariana DUQUE MARINO v HAN Xinyun
- Mariya KORYTTSEVA v Patricia MAYR-ACHLEITNER
- Masa ZEC PESKIRIC v (5) Carla SUAREZ NAVARRO
- Simona HALEP (3) v Mathilde JOHANSSON
- Yvonne MEUSBURGER v Alexandra PANOVA
- Sharon FICHMAN (Q) v (WC) Leticia COSTAS-MOREIRA
- Catalina CASTANO (WC) v (8) Anabel MEDINA GARRIGUES
The bottom half of the draw is:
- Lourdes DOMINGUEZ LINO (7) v Mandy MINELLA
- Bianca BOTTO (Q) v Eva BIRNEROVA
- Corinna DENTONI (Q) v Petra CETKOVSKA
- Beatriz GARCIA VIDAGANY (Q) v (4) Arantxa PARRA SANTONJA
- Edina GALLOVITS-HALL (6) v Nina BRATCHIKOVA
- Laura POUS-TIO v (WC) Silvia OLER ESPINOSA
- Zuzana ONDRASKOVA v Petra MARTIC
- Pauline PARMENTIER v (2) Polona HERCOG
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on both the WTA and ATP Tours. For details about the next Grand Slams click-> Roland Garros 2011: May 17-June 5 and Wimbledon 2011: June 13-July 3.
photo credit: robbiesaurus