The 2012 Charleston Open women’s main draw singles matches begin on Monday 2 April at 9:30am local time at the Family Circle Cup Tennis Center in Charleston, South Carolina in the USA. In this post a number of interesting facts will be provided, including how the WTA ranking points and prize money are allocated for each round and what the schedule of play is for the entire tournament.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. To watch the tennis in Singapore you need to add 12 hours to the local time in Charleston to work out the equivalent Singapore time.
The event schedule begins with the 48-player qualifying singles draw on Saturday 31 March. The Women’s Singles Final will be played on Sunday April 8. The total prize money for the women’s singles event is $740,000.
Please note that the tournament management can alter the schedule from day to day.
The WTA ranking points and prize money for the women’s tournament is awarded to the players like this:
- The winner earns 470 points + $115,000;
- The runner-up earns 320 points + $59,000;
- The two semi finalists earn 200 points + $30,000;
- The four quarter finalists earn 120 points + $15,500;
- The 8 players who lose in the round of 16 earn 60 points + $8,110;
- The 16 players who lose in the 2nd round earn 40 points + $4,100;
- The *players who lose in the 1st round earn 1 point + $2,075.
The schedule of play for the 2012 Charleston Open Women’s Singles event is:
- Saturday 31 March: Qualifying Draw 1st round from 9:30am;
- Sunday 1 April: Qualifying 2nd round from 9:30am;
- Monday 2 April: Main Draw 1st round from 10am;
- Tuesday 3 April: 1st round from 10am;
- Wednesday 4 April: 2nd round from 10am;
- Thursday 5 April: Round of 16 from 11am;
- Friday 6 April: Quarter Finals from 10am; and
- Saturday 7 April: Semi finals from 1pm; and
- Sunday 8 April: Women’s Singles Final at 1pm.
*The points awarded to a 1st round loser vary according to how they were allocated a place in the 1st round.
For further details about the different rankings points allocations for different situations for 1st round losers and for players who gain entry into the main draw from the qualifying event you will be able to click on 1 April here-> Charleston 2012 Women’s Qualifying Singles Draw.
To get you started, did you know that if any of the 8 seeded players who lose their first match after being given a bye into the 2nd round are treated as a 1st round loser for ranking points allocation purposes i.e. they receive 1 point for losing their first match.
OnCourt Advantage supplies all the details YOU need to make it easy to follow tennis, get your tennis tickets and watch men’s and women’s professional tennis on the WTA, ATP Tour and for each Grand Slam tournament all year round.
© photo credit: sr_cranks