The 2013 Chennai Open is being played for the 18th time. To make it easier for YOU to follow, watch or attend this tournament OnCourt Advantage details how the ATP ranking points and prize money are allocated round-by-round plus what the schedule of play is for each day. To watch the tennis in Singapore add 2.5 hours from the local times in Chennai listed below.
Further details, including how to buy tickets, “Like” and “Follow” Chennai, the tournament venue, centre court name and capacity, the court surface, total prize money etc. are covered here-> Chennai Open Tennis 2013.
The original cut-off ranking for direct acceptance in to the main draw singles event is ATP Tour World No.109 Dudi Sela. The Top 8 highest ranked players entered at the cut-off date of 19 November 2012 are: Tomas Berdych, Janko Tipsarevic, Marin Cilic, Stanislas Wawrinka, Benoit Paire, Robin Haase, Lu Yen-Hsun and World No.60 Go Soeda.
Pictured above is Janko TIPSAREVIC in the forward swing phase of this forehand groundstroke at the 2012 US Open where he made the quarter finals for the second straight year. The 28-year-old Serbian was the 2012 Chennai runner-up in a 3-hour 14-minute final of three tie-breaks. The 1.8m right-hander had his best year on tour achieving his career-high rank at No.8 and qualifying for the year-end ATP Tour Finals.
Please note that the tournament management can alter the schedule from day to day.
The ATP ranking points and prize money is awarded to the players like this:
- The winner earns 250 points + $69,500;
- The runner-up earns 150 points + $36,650;
- The two semi finalists earn 90 points + $19,835;
- The four quarter finalists earn 45 points + $11,300;
- The 8 players who lose in the round of 16 earn 20 points + $6,660;
- The *players who lose in the 1st round receive $3,945 but DO NOT earn any ranking points.
*The points awarded to a 1st round loser vary according to how they were allocated a place in the 1st round.
The schedule of play for the 2013 Chennai Open Men’s Singles event is:
- Saturday 29 December: Qualifying at 10am;
- Sunday 30 December: Qualifying at 10am;
- Monday 31 December: Main Draw 1st round at 11am;
- Tuesday 1 January: 1st round at 11am;
- Wednesday 2 January: Round of 16 from 11am and 7:30pm;
- Thursday 3 January: Round of 16 from 11am and 7:30pm;
- Friday 4 January: Quarter Finals from 11am;
- Saturday 5 January: Semi Finals at 4:30pm; and
- Sunday 6 January: Men’s Singles Final at 4:30pm.
Photo credit: Robbie Mendelson