The 2012 Dubai Open women’s main draw singles matches began on Monday 20 February at 2pm local time in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. There are 32 main draw spots divided up between 4 Qualifiers (Q), 2 Wild Cards (WC), 22 Direct Acceptances and 4 Byes. The official tournament name is the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships due to title sponsorship naming rights.
The official draw was held on Friday 17 February and as soon as the qualifying event is complete OnCourt Advantage will add the names of the four qualifiers into their allocated spots in the draw. The 8 seeds were ranked from World No.1 (Victoria AZARENKA) through to No.13 (Jelena JANKOVIC). The last direct acceptance into the main draw was Petra CETKOVSKA from the Czech Republic who was ranked No.33 at the cut-off date.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. Click this link for details about how you can buy Dubai Open Official tennis tickets and you will also find the OnCourt Advantage coverage of the Dubai Open.
Victoria AZARENKA is pictured above during the 2011 Dubai Open firing her racquet right through the ball with her best shot, the double-handed backhand ground stroke. The 22-year-old won her first Grand Slam singles title by defeating 3-time Grand Slam singles champion Maria Sharapova at the 2012 Australian Open.
The new World No.1 as of Monday 30 January 2012 became the first Belarusian to achieve the World No.1 ranking and win a Grand Slam singles title. The 1.83m Azarenka won the Daphne Ackhurst Memorial Cup on Rod Laver Arena 7 years after winning the Junior Australian Open singles title after dropping only 20 games on route to the title.
The draw for the seeded players IF they all win through to the quarter finals is:
- Victoria AZARENKA (1) v (6) Marion BARTOLI
- Caroline WOZNIACKI (3) v (7) Franscesca SCHIAVONE
- Jelena JANKOVIC (8) v (4) Samantha STOSUR
- Agnieszka RADWANSKA (5) v (9) Sabine LISICKI (replaced Petra KVITOVA – injured)
The 2012 Dubai Open women’s singles draw for the 1st round is:
- Victoria AZARENKA (1) replaced by Casey DELLACQUA (LL) v BYE
- Julia GOERGES v Svetlana KUZNETSOVA
- Daniela HANTUCHOVA v (LL) Polona HERCOG
- PENG Shuai v (6) Marion BARTOLI
- Caroline WOZNIACKI (3) v BYE
- Simona HALEP (Q) v Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA
- Maria KIRILENKO v Monica NICULESCU
- Ana IVANOVIC v (7) Francesca SCHIAVONE
The bottom half of the draw is:
- Jelena JANKOVIC (8) v Petra CETKOVSKA
- Anabel MEDINA GARRIGUES v Flavia PENNETTA
- Lucie SAFAROVA v (Q) Petra MARTIC
- BYE v (4) Samantha STOSUR
- Agnieszka RADWANSKA (5) v (Q) Aleksandra WOZNIAK
- Fatma AL NABHANI (WC) v (WC) Shahar PEER
- Dominika CIBULKOVA v (Q) Iveta BENESOVA
- BYE v (9) Sabine LISICKI
OnCourt Advantage supplies all the details YOU need to make it easy to follow tennis, get your tennis tickets and watch men’s and women’s professional tennis on the WTA, ATP Tour and for each Grand Slam tournament all year round.
© photo credit: Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships