The 2012 Hamburg Open men’s main draw singles clay-court event began on Monday 16 July at 12 noon local time. The official name of Hamburg due to title sponsorship naming rights is the bet-at-home Open German Tennis Championships. In this post a number of interesting facts about the men’s singles main draw will be provided, the full singles draw and what the projected quarter finals match-ups are will be listed.
Hamburg is one of the ATP Tour 500 Tournaments each year and has 32 players vying for the title, a maximum of 500 ATP ranking points and €216,500 (Euros) in prize money for the winner. There are 32 main draw spots divided up between 4 Qualifiers [Q], 3 Wild Cards [WC] and 25 Direct Acceptances. If any players withdraw from the event after the draw is made they will be replaced by a Lucky Loser [LL].
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. To watch the tennis in Singapore you need to add 6 hours to the local time in Hamburg to work out the equivalent Singapore time in the daily 2012 Hamburg Order of Play and Results.
The Seeds: In a 32-player sized draw there are 8 seeded players. The seeded players play two rounds against lower ranked opponents who are unseeded, before they can meet another seed in the quarter finals.
The seeding is allocated to the 8 highest ranked players according to the latest ATP rankings BEFORE the draw is made and these latest rankings were released on Monday 9 July.
The 8 seeds were ranked from World No.10 Nicolas ALMAGRO through to No.31 Viktor TROICKI. The last direct acceptance into the main draw was Cedrik-Marcel STEBE from Germany who was ranked No.91 at the cut-off date.
The Wild Cards: the three wild card recipients were Germans Tommy HAAS, Julian REISTER and Matthias BACHINGER.
The Qualifiers: The 30-player qualifying tournament sets the task of winning 3 best-of-three tiebreak set matches in order to qualify for the main draw. These four players then have their names added to the draw and they were: Marsel ILHAN, Daniel MUNOZ-DE LA NAVA, Federico DELBONIS and Horacio ZEBALLOS.
The draw for the seeded players IF they all win through to the quarter finals is:
- Nicolas ALMAGRO  v  Philipp KOHLSCHREIBER
- Juan MONACO  v  Fernando VERDASCO
- Viktor TROICKI  v  Marin CILIC
- Florian MAYER  v  Gilles SIMON
The 2012 Hamburg Open men’s singles draw is:
- Nicolas ALMAGRO (1) v Tobias KAMKE
- Jarkko NIEMINEN v Nikolay DAVYDENKO
- Marsel ILHAN [Q] v Fabio FOGNINI
- Bjorn PHAU v  Philipp KOHLSCHREIBER
- Juan MONACO  v Cedrik-Marcel STEBE
- Ruben RAMIREZ HIDALGO v [Q] Daniel MUNOZ-DE LA NAVA
- Jeremy CHARDY v Albert MONTANES
- Julian REISTER [WC] v  Fernando VERDASCO
The bottom half of the draw is:
- Viktor TROICKI  v Lukas ROSOL
- Pablo ANDUJAR v Albert RAMOS
- Federico DELBONIS [Q] v Tommy ROBREDO
- Flavio CIPOLLA v  Marin CILIC
- Florian MAYER  v [Q] Horacio ZEBALLOS
- Matthias BACHINGER [WC] v Robin HAASE
- Tommy HAAS [WC] v Martin KLIZAN
- Carlos BERLOCQ v  Gilles SIMON
photo credit: Tim Schofield