Hobart is a WTA International category tournament and is part of the Australian Open series of tournaments played in Australia on the 2011 women’s professional tennis tour. This tournament is held at the Domain Tennis Centre in Tasmania on True Blue Plexicushion Prestige hard courts. To see the FULL 2011 Women’s Schedule of Play, prize money and WTA ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event, click HERE.
If you need help buying tickets click here for official tickets.
The Women’s Singles Final will be played on centre court on Sunday 15 January at 5pm. The centre court has not yet been named after anybody as yet and it has a seating capacity of 2,500. The total prize money for the 2011 Hobart International women’s singles event is 220,000 US dollars. The last direct acceptance was Ayumi Morita of Japan who was ranked No.73 at the cut-off date.
In a 32-player sized draw there are 8 seeded players and to win the singles title the eventual champion will have to win 5 matches in a row. Many tournaments award a BYE to the Top 2 to Top 8 seeds, which means you don’t get to see them in action as often. In addition, for every BYE placed in the draw a player is deprived of the opportunity to compete in the event.
We all want to see more tennis so congratulations to Hobart on deciding not to award a BYE to any of the seeded players. The 3 wild cards were awarded to Australian trio Alicia Molik, Olivia Rogowska and Sally Peers. In women’s tennis a wild card is far more valuable than it is in men’s tennis because a wild card recipient gains WTA ranking points even if they lose in the 1st round. Men’s tennis does not award any points to a wild card recipient if they lose 1st round.
The 2011 Hobart International women’s singles possible quarter final match-ups according to seeding are:
- (1) Marion Bartoli versus (5) Klara Zakopalova
- (4) Roberta Vinci v (6) Jarmila Groth
- (7) Sara Errani v (3) Tsvetana Pironkova
- (8) Angelique Kerber v (2) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
The 2011 Hobart International draw for the women’s singles event is:
- (1) Marion Bartoli v Dinara Safina
- Aranxta Parra Santonja v Elena Vesnina
- (Q) Alberta Brianti v Carla Suarez Navarro
- Melanie Oudin v (5) Klara Zakopalova
- (4) Roberta Vinci v Romina Oprandi
- Tamarine Tanasugarn v Elena Baltacha
- (Q) Tamira Paszek v (WC) Olivia Rogowska
- Johanna Larsson v (6) Jarmila Groth
- (7) Sara Errani v Anna Chakvetadze
- (WC) Alicia Molik v Sofia Arvidsson
- (Q) Olga Govortsova v (WC) Sally Peers
- Peng Shuai v (3) Tsvetana Pironkova
- (8) Angelique Kerber v Kimiko Date-Krumm
- Alla Kudryavtseva v (Q) Magdalena Rybarikova
- Ayumi Morita v Akgul Amanmuradova
- Bethanie Mattek-Sands v (2) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
The 32-player qualifying tournament began on Friday 7 January and will be completed today. As soon as the qualifying tournament is completed the spots in the above draw will be filled in with the names of the qualifiers.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for details about the Australian Open-> Australian Open 2011: January 12-30.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2011
photo credit: David Clifford