The 2011 Malaysian Open women’s main draw singles matches will begin on Monday 28 February at 1pm local time. There are 32 main draw spots divided up between 4 Qualifiers (Q), 3 Wild Cards (WC) and 25 Direct Acceptances.
The official tournament name is the BMW Malaysian Open and it is a WTA International category tournament played on hard courts from February 26 to March 6. The total prize money for the 2011 Malaysian tournament is $220,000 US dollars. The last direct acceptance into the draw was Noppawan Lertcheewakarn of Thailand who was ranked No.181 at the cut-off date.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage.
The Seeds: In a 32-player sized draw there are 8 seeded players. This means that all of the 8 seeds are separated in the draw so they play two rounds against lower ranked opponents who are unseeded, before they can meet another seed in the quarter finals. The seeding for the Malaysian Open is allocated according to the latest WTA rankings before the draw is made. These latest rankings were released on Monday 21 February.
The 2011 Malaysian Open women’s singles seeds are:
1-Francesca SCHIAVONE, 2-Marion BARTOLI, 3-Alisa KLEYBANOVA, 4-Jarmila GROTH, 5-Lucie SAFAROVA, 6-Ayumi MORITA, 7-Kimiko DATE-KRUMM and 8-Bojana JOVANOVSKI.
The Wild Cards: The 3 wild cards were awarded to Francesca SCHIAVONE, Jarmila GROTH and Urszula RADWANSKA.
The Qualifiers: The 32-player qualifying tournament begins on Saturday 26 February and concludes on Monday 28 February. The names of the 4 qualifiers will be added into their allocated spots in the draw below and listed here. The qualifiers are-> LU Jing-Jing, Anne KREMER, Tetiana LUZHANSKA and SUN Shengnan.
The Malaysian Open Women’s singles draw features 2010 Roland Garros singles champion Francesca Schiavone. The 30-year-old Schiavone is pictured above at the completion of her single-handed backhand drive. The Italian did not initially enter this event, yet later requested entry that is why despite being the No.1 seed she is a wild card entrant.
To see the FULL 2011 Women’s Schedule of Play, prize money and WTA ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event click-> Malaysia 2011 Women’s Schedule of Play.
The draw for the seeded players IF they all win through to the quarter finals is:
- Francesca SCHIAVONE (1) v (8) Bojana JOVANOVSKI
- Alisa KLEYBANOVA (3) v (7) Kimiko DATE-KRUMM
- Ayumi MORITA (6) v (4) Jarmila GROTH
- Lucie SAFAROVA (5) v (2) Marion BARTOLI
The 2011 Malaysian Open women’s singles draw for the 1st round is:
- Francesca SCHIAVONE (WC) (1) v Jelena DOKIC
- KurumiNARA v Elena BOVINA
- Junri NAMIGATA v (WC) Urszula RADWANSKA
- TamarineTANASUGARN v (8) Bojana JOVANOVSKI
- Alisa KLEYBANOVA (3) v (Q) LU Jing-Jing
- TatjanaMALEK v Michaella KRAJICEK
- AlbertaBRIANTI v Noppawan LERTCHEEWAKARN
- Anne KREMER (Q) v (7) Kimiko DATE-KRUMM
The bottom half of the draw is:
- Ayumi MORITA (6) v Darya KUSTOVA
- CHANG Kai-Chenv ZHANG Shuai
- Tetiana LUZHANSKA (Q) v Misaki DOI
- SUN Shengnan (Q) v (4) (WC) Jarmila GROTH
- Lucie SAFAROVA (5) v Zarina DIYAS
- HAN Xinyunv DinaraSAFINA
- NinaBRATCHIKOVA v Ekaterina IVANOVA
- Maria ElenaCAMERIN v (2) Marion BARTOLI
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on both the WTA and ATP Tours. For details about the next Grand Slams click-> Roland Garros 2011: May 17-June 5 and Wimbledon 2011: June 13-July 3.
photo credit: louistan