The 2011 Monterrey Open women’s main draw singles matches will begin on Monday 28 February at 1pm local time. There are 32 main draw spots divided up between 4 Qualifiers (Q), 3 Wild Cards (WC) and 25 Direct Acceptances.
The official tournament name is the Whirlpool Monterrey Open and it is a WTA International category tournament played on hard courts from February 26 to March 6. The total prize money for the 2011 Monterrey tournament is $220,000 US dollars. The last direct acceptance into the draw was Andrea Hlavackova of the Czech Republic who was ranked No.99 at the cut-off date.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage.
The Seeds: In a 32-player sized draw there are 8 seeded players. This means that all of the 8 seeds are separated in the draw so they play two rounds against lower ranked opponents who are unseeded, before they can meet another seed in the quarter finals. The seeding for the Monterrey Open is allocated according to the latest WTA rankings before the draw is made. These latest rankings were released on Monday 21 February.
The Wild Cards: The 3 wild cards were awarded to Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA, Aravane REZAI and Mexican Ximena HERMOSO.
The Qualifiers: The 32-player qualifying tournament begins on Saturday 26 February and concludes on Monday 28 February. The names of the 4 qualifiers will be added into their allocated spots in the draw below and listed here. The qualifiers are-> Laura POUS-TIO, Aleksandra WOZNIAK, Lucie HRADECKA and Eleni DANIILIDOU.
To see the FULL 2011 Women’s Schedule of Play, prize money and WTA ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event click-> Monterrey 2011 Women’s Schedule of Play.
The draw for the seeded players IF they all win through to the quarter finals is:
- Jelena JANKOVIC (1) v (5) Anastasija SEVASTOVA
- Aravane REZAI (3) v (8) Polona HERCOG
- Iveta BENESOVA (7) v (4) Julia GOERGES
- Sara ERRANI (6) v (2) Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA
The 2011 Monterrey Open women’s singles draw for the 1st round is:
- Jelena JANKOVIC (1) v Lourdes DOMINGUEZ LINO
- Andrea HLAVACKOVA v Sybille BAMMER
- Simona HALEP v Alize CORNET
- Laura POUS-TIO (Q) v (5) Anastasija SEVASTOVA
- Aravane REZAI (WC) (3) v Alla KUDRYAVTSEVA
- Olga GOVORTSOVA v Renata VORACOVA
- Romina OPRANDI v Barbora ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA
- Angelique KERBER v (8) Polona HERCOG
The bottom half of the draw is:
- Iveta BENESOVA (7) v Gisela DULKO
- Aleksandra WOZNIAK (Q) v (WC) Ximena HERMOSO
- Lucie HRADECKA (Q) v Zuzana ONDRASKOVA
- Ksenia PERVAK v (4) Julia GOERGES
- Sara ERRANI (6) v Johanna LARSSON
- Greta ARN v Sandra ZAHLAVOVA
- Vania KING v Melanie OUDIN
- Eleni DANIILIDOU (Q) v (2) Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on both the WTA and ATP Tours. For details about the next Grand Slams click-> Roland Garros 2011: May 17-June 5 and Wimbledon 2011: June 13-July 3.
© photo credit: 6cab