The 2011 Paris Open GDF Suez women’s main draw singles matches will begin on Monday 7 February at 3pm local time in Paris, France. There are 30 main draw spots divided up between 4 Qualifiers (Q), 3 Wild Cards (WC) and 23 Direct Acceptances. Paris is a WTA Premier category tournament played on wood based Greenset hard courts from February 5-13.
The 19th edition of this tournament is is held at the Pierre de Coubertin Stadium in Paris, France on Greenset hard courts. The total prize money for the 2011 Paris Open tournament is 618,000 US dollars. The last direct acceptance into the draw was Kristina BARROIS of Germany who was ranked No.79 at the cut-off date. As soon as the qualifying event is complete OCA will add the names of the 4 qualifiers into their allocated spots in the draw below.
If you need help buying tickets click here for official tickets.
The Seeds: In a 32-player sized draw there are 8 seeded players. The players are the highest 8 ranked players according to the latest WTA rankings available before the tournament commences. These latest rankings were released on Monday 31 January.
The 2011 Paris Open women’s singles seeds are:
1-Kim CLIJSTERS, 2-Maria SHARAPOVA, 3-Kaia KANEPI, 4-Petra KVITOVA, 5-Nadia PETROVA, 6-Andrea PETKOVIC, 7-Yanina WICKMAYER and 8-Dominika CIBULKOVA.
If a seeded players withdraws during the next few days before taking the court for their 1st round match OCA will update you of any new developments amongst the seeded players straight away. That seed would be replaced by the next highest ranked direct acceptance.
The Wild Cards: The wild cards are were awarded to two players who did not initially enter this event and later asked for a wild card to permit them to play. A great gain for the strength of the tournament as both players are now amongst the seeds i.e. Maria Sharapova and Yanina Wickmayer. The other wild card went to French woman Virginie RAZZANO.
The Qualifiers: The 32-player qualifying tournament began on Saturday 5 February and concludes on Sunday 6 February. As soon as each of the 4 players win their 3rd and final round of qualifying OCA will add their names right here-> Vesna MANSIEVA, Ana VRLJIC, Jelena DOKIC and Kristina KUCOVA.
The draw for the seeded players IF they all win through to the quarter finals is:
- Kim CLIJSTERS (1) v (5) Nadia PETROVA
- Kaia KANEPI (3) v (8) Dominika CIBULKOVA
- Yanina WICKMAYER (WC) (7) v (4) Petra KVITOVA
- Andrea PETKOVIC (6) v (2) (WC) Maria SHARAPOVA
*Maria Sharapova withdrew due to an upper respiratory viral illness and was replaced by Lucky Loser (LL) Stephanie COHEN-ALORO.
The 2011 Paris Open GDF Suez women’s singles draw for the 1st round is:
- Kim CLIJSTERS (1) v BYE
- Kristina BARROIS v Iveta BENESOVA
- (Q) Jelena DOKIC v Lucie SAFAROVA
- Virginie RAZZANO (WC) v (5) Nadia PETROVA
- Kaia KANEPI (3) v Anastasija SEVASTOVA
- Alize CORNET v Sofia ARVIDSSON
- Melanie OUDIN v Vera DUSHEVINA
- (Q) Ana VRLJIC v (8) Dominika CIBULKOVA
The bottom half of the draw is:
- Yanina WICKMAYER (WC) (7) v Elena VESNINA
- Timea BACSINSZKY v Klara ZAKOPALOVA
- Tsvetana PIRONKOVA v Barbora ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA
- (Q) Vesna MANASIEVA v (4) Petra KVITOVA
- Andrea PETKOVIC (6) v Angelique KERBER
- (Q) Kristina KUCOVA v Ekaterina MAKAROVA
- Carla SUAREZ NAVARRO v Bethanie MATTEK-SANDS
- BYE v (LL) Stephanie COHEN-ALORO *(2) (WC) SHARAPOVA
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on both the WTA and ATP Tours. For details about the next Grand Slams click-> Roland Garros 2011: May 17-June 5 and Wimbledon 2011: June 13-July 3.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2011
photo credit: americanistadechiapas