The 2011 South African Tennis Open men’s main draw singles matches begin on Monday January 31 at 12 noon local time in Johannesburg, South Africa. There are 32 main draw spots divided up between 4 Qualifiers (Q), 3 Wild Cards (WC) and 25 Direct Acceptances. The official name of the 2011 event is the SA Tennis Open.
The SA Tennis Open is held at the Montecasino Outdoor Event Area in Gauteng, Johannesburg, South Africa on hard courts. In a 32-player sized draw the Top 8 ranked players become seeded players. The last direct acceptance into the main singles draw is Stephane BOHLI of the Switzerland who was ranked at No.136 on the cut-off date. The cut-off date was 21 December 2010.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage.
The men’s event began on Saturday January 29 with the qualifying singles draw and the Men’s Singles Final will be played on Sunday February 6 at 1pm. Thiago ALVES of Brazil was awarded a Lucky Loser (LL) spot in the draw after Jeremy Chardy withdrew due to personal reasons. The total financial commitment for the 2011 tournament is 500,000 US dollars, with the total prize money for the Men’s Singles event being $442,500.
The 3 wild cards were awarded to South Africans: Fritz WOLMARANS, Rik DE VOEST and Izak VAN DER MERWE in a strong display of support by the South African Tennis Association. The 18-player qualifying tournament began on Saturday 29 January and was completed yesterday. To see the FULL 2011 Men’s Schedule of Play, prize money and ATP ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event, click HERE.
Pictured above is the runner up of the 2010 SA Tennis Open Stephane ROBERT right at the contact point for this double handed backhand drive during last year’s final. The 30-year-old from France achieved his career-best Grand Slam singles results by making the 2nd round at the 2010 Australian Open. The 1.85m Robert achieved his career-high ranking of No.61 on 22 February 2010 shortly after making his career-first ATP Tour final at Johannesburg.
The 2011 SA Tennis Open men’s singles possible quarter final match-ups according to seeding are:
- Feliciano LOPEZ (1) v (6) Adrian MANNARINO
- Kevin ANDERSON (4) v (7) Rainer SCHUETTLER
- Michal PRZYSIEZNY (8) v (3) Janko TIPSAREVIC
- Florent SERRA (5) v (2) LU Yen-Hsun
The 2011 Zagreb draw for the men’s singles event is:
- Feliciano LOPEZ (1) v Frank DANCEVIC
- Igor SIJSLING v (WC) Fritz WOLMARANS
- Nikala SCHOLTZ (Q) v Denis GREMELMAYR
- Yuri SCHUKIN v (6) Adrian MANNARINO
- Kevin ANDERSON (4) v Stephane BOHLI
- Edouard ROGER-VASSELIN v Dudi SELA
- Brian DABUL v Karol BECK
- Go SOEDA v (7) Rainer SCHUETTLER
- Michal PRZYSIEZNY (8) v Martin FISCHER
- Stefano GALVANI (Q) v (WC) Rik DE VOEST
- Somdev DEVVARMAN v (Q) Raven KLAASEN
- Jesse HUTA GALUNG v (3) Janko TIPSAREVIC
- Florent SERRA (5) v Dustin BROWN
- Izak VAN DER MERWE (WC) v Stephane ROBERT
- Thiago ALVES (LL) v Simon GREUL
- Milos RAONIC (Q) v (2) LU Yen-Hsun
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every Grand Slam tournament, every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on both the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. For details about the next Grand Slam – Roland Garros (French Open), click-> Roland Garros 2011: May 17-June 5.
photo credit: wendz54