The 2011 Sydney International men’s main draw singles matches will begin on Sunday 9 January October at 10am local time in Sydney, Australia. There are 28 main draw spots divided up between 4 Qualifiers (Q), 3 Wild Cards (WC) and 21 Direct Acceptances.
The Sydney International is an ATP World Tour 250 category tournament. Sydney is the second event played in Australia on the 2011 men’s professional tennis tour that leads in to the Australian Open. This tournament is held at the Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre in New South Wales on blue Plexicushion Prestige hard courts.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage.
The Men’s Singles Final will be played on centre court on Sunday 15 January. Centre court is called Ken Rosewall Arena and it has a seating capacity of 10,000. The total financial commitment for the 2011 Sydney International tournament is 424,450 US dollars with the total prize money for the Men’s Singles event being $372,500.
In a 32-player sized draw there are 8 seeded players. There are 28 players in the draw, which means ONLY the Top 4 seeds have a BYE in the 1st round. The Top 4 seeds await the 12 winners of the 1st round matches. The 3 wild cards were awarded to 2009 US Open singles Champion Juan Martin del Potro, Australian Matthew Ebden and strangely, especially given the ASHES cricket series, James Ward of Great Britain!
Pictured above is 2010 Sydney International men’s singles runner-up Richard Gasquet just after making contact with the ball for this forehand drive. The 24-year-old from France lost 6-4, 7-6 (7-2) to Marcos Baghdatis whom he would play in the semi finals this year IF they both win through for a rematch. The 1.85m Gasquet achieved his best results at the Australian Open by making the round of 16 in 2007 and in 2008.
The 2011 Sydney International men’s singles possible quarter final match-ups according to seeding are:
- (1) Sam Querrey versus (8) Yen-Hsun Lu
- (3) Ernests Gulbis v. (7) Guillermo Garcia-Lopez
- (5) Richard Gasquet v. (4) Viktor Troicki
- (6) Feliciano Lopez v. (2) Marcos Baghdatis
The 2011 Sydney International draw for the men’s singles event is:
- (1) Sam Querrey v BYE
- Alexandr Dolgopolov v (Q) Bernard Tomic
- (Q) Frederico Gil v Jarkko Nieminen
- Gilles Simon v (8) Yen-Hsun Lu
- (3) Ernests Gulbis v BYE
- (Q) Igor Andreev v Jeremy Chardy
- Benjamin Becker v Sergiy Stakhovsky
- (Q) Chris Guccione v (7) Guillermo Garcia-Lopez
- (4) Richard Gasquet v (WC) Matthew Ebden
- Andreas Seppi v Denis Istomen
- Juan Ignacio Chela v (SE) Radek Stepanek
- BYE v (4) Viktor Troicki
- (6) Feliciano Lopez v (WC) Juan Martin del Potro
- Florian Mayer v (WC) James Ward
- Potito Starace v Julien Benneteau
- BYE v (2) Marcos Baghdatis withdrew injured so was replaced by (LL) Lukasz Kubot
The qualifying tournament begins today and will be completed tomorrow. As soon as these qualifying matches are completed the spots in the above draw will be filled in with the 4 qualifiers names. To see the FULL 2011 Men’s Schedule of Play, prize money and ATP ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event, click HERE.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the Australian Open -> Australian Open 2011: January 12-30.
photo credit: chascow