Jelena Jankovic (pictured above) was the runner-up in the 2008 US Open. This is a great picture that shows fantastic positioning for impact with her forehand by the former world No.1.
Jankovic was ranked No.1 at the end of the 2008 season. This created great controversy as the Serbian’s achievement of being the year-end No.1 made her the first player in WTA Tour history to do so without winning a Grand Slam singles title.
In this category called “Eye On The Tour” we will take a closer look at the players on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour.
Today we are listing the players ranking, their nationality, the number of ranking points that make up their 12 month total and the details about the racquet’s they use.
As of Monday August 3, 2009 the Top 10 ranked women are:
- Dinara Safina (Russian) 9,601 ranking points
- Serena Williams (American) 8,628
- Venus Williams (American) 6,935
- Elena Dementieva (Russian) 6,591
- Jelena Jankovic (Serbian) 5,930
- Svetlana Kuznetsova (Russian) 5,853
- Vera Zvonareva (Russian) 5,400
- Caroline Wozniacki (Danish) 4,750
- Victoria Azarenka (Belarusian) 4,538
- Nadia Petrova (Russian) 3,290
The following list contains some details of the racquets that the current world Top 10 women are using. We will list the details in the following order next to each player’s name:
- the brand of racquet;
- the model of that brand;
- the racquet length in inches (“);
- the size of the racquet head in square inches (sq.in.);
- the string pattern, mains (M) followed by crosses (X); and
- the strung weight of the racquet in grams (g).
- Safina – Babolat, Aero Storm Tour, 27″, 98 sq.in., 16M 20X & 343g.
- Serena – Wilson, [K] Factor K Blade, 27.3″, 104 sq.in., 18M 19X & 303g.
- Venus – Wilson, [K] Factor K Blade, 27.3″, 104 sq.in., 18M 19X & 303g.
- Dementieva – Yonex, RDiS 100 Midplus, 27″, 98 sq.in., 16M 19X & 332g.
- Jankovic – Prince, O3 Speedport Pro White, 27″, 100 sq.in., 18M 19X & 332g.
- Kuznetsova – Head, MicroGEL Extreme, 27.25″, 100 sq.in., 16M 19X & 315g.
- Zvonareva – Prince O3 White, 27″, 100 sq.in., 16M 19X & 32og.
- Wozniacki – Babolat, AeroPro Drive Cortex, 27″, 100 sq.in., 16M 19X & 320g.
- Azarenka – Head, MicroGEL Extreme Pro, 27″, 100 sq.in., 16M 19X & 332g.
- Petrova – Babolat, Aero Storm Tour, 27″, 98 sq.in., 16M 20X & 343g.
Is there anything else that you would like to know about the players? What else would you like to know about the racquets?
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2009