The 2011 Australian Open men’s main draw singles 1st round matches have been completed. Of the 128 players in action, 32 of them were seeded players, 16 were Qualifiers and 8 were Wild Cards. In the second round only 64 players remain in contention for the title and of the 32 seeds only 3 of them were upset in the 1st round: No.18 Sam Querrey, No.23 Nikolay Davydenko and No.24 Ernests Gulbis.
After the 1st round only 2 of the 8 wild cards survived and they were Frenchman Benoit Paire plus the sole remaining Australian Bernard Tomic. The qualifiers performed far better with 7 of the 16 qualifiers each winning their fourth consecutive match. These qualifiers were: Blaz KAVCIC, Grigor DIMITROV, Ryan SWEETING, Gilles MULLER, Nicolas MAHUT, Milos RAONIC and Jan HERNYCH.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage.
The 2010 Australian Open Men’s singles quarter finalist Novak Djokovic is pictured above during that match as he is positioning the ball during his service motion. The 1.88m Djokovic lost to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga last year in 5 sets after having a 2-sets-to-1 lead. Tsonga was his opponent in the 2008 Australian Open final when Djokovic won his maiden Grand Slam singles title.
The 23-year-old from Serbia made it to his 3rd Grand Slam singles final at the 2010 US Open after defeating Roger Federer in a spectacular 5-set match after saving match points. Djokovic is the No.3 seed and is in Federer’s half of the draw, which means they are on a collision course at the semi final stage IF they perform up to their seeding.
Those players’ names that are bolded in the list below are the 16 players who are seeded to meet in the 4th round and play-off for a spot in the quarter finals. Any player whose name is italicised, has his first name removed and has his surname in lower case letters is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the 2nd round.
The 2011 Australian Open men’s singles draw for the 2nd round is:
- (1) Rafael NADAL v (Q) Ryan SWEETING
- (WC) Bernard TOMIC-AUS v (31) Feliciano LOPEZ
- (20) John ISNER v Radek STEPANEK
- Santiago GIRALDO v (15) Marin CILIC
- (10) Mikhail YOUZHNY v (Q) Blaz KAVCIC
- (Q) Milos RAONIC v (22) Michael LLODRA
- (27) David NALBANDIAN v Ricardo BERANKIS
- Michael RUSSELL v (7) David FERRER
- (4) Robin SODERLING v (Q) Gilles MULLER
- (Q) Jan HERNYCH v (30) Tomaz BELLUCCI
- (24) Gulbis Benjamin BECKER v Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV
- Andreas SEPPI v (13) Jo-Wilfried TSONGA
- (11) Jurgen MELZER v Pere RIBA
- Juan Martin DEL POTRO v (21) Marcos BAGHDATIS
- (32) Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ v Eduardo SCHWANK
- Illya MARCHENKO v (5) Andy MURRAY
The bottom half of the draw is:
- (6) Tomas BERDYCH v Philipp KOHLSCHREIBER
- Adrian MANNARINO v (28) Richard GASQUET
- (23) Davydenko Florian MAYER v Kei NISHIKORI
- Janko TIPSAREVIC v (9) Fernando VERDASCO
- (14) Nicolas ALMAGRO v Igor ANDREEV
- (WC) Benoit PAIRE v (17) Ivan LJUBICIC
- (29) Viktor TROICKI v (Q) Nicolas MAHUT
- Ivan DODIG v (3) Novak DJOKOVIC
- (8) Andy RODDICK v Igor KUNITSYN
- Robin HAASE v (26) Juan MONACO
- (19) Stanislas WAWRINKA v (Q) Grigor DIMITROV
- Frederico GIL v (12) Gael MONFILS
- (16) Mardy FISH v Tommy ROBREDO
- Sergiy STAKHOVSKY v Lukasz KUBOT (18) Querrey
- (25) Albert MONTANES v Xavier MALISSE
- Gilles SIMON v (2) Roger FEDERER
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the Australian Open -> Australian Open 2011: January 12-30.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2011
photo credit: brett marlow