The 2011 Australian Open women’s main draw singles 1st round matches have been completed. Of the 128 players in action, 32 of them were seeded players, 12 were Qualifiers and 8 were Wild Cards. In the second round only 64 players remain in contention for the title and of the 32 seeds only 4 of them were upset in the 1st round: No.17 Aravane Rezai, No.19 Ana Ivanovic, No.27 Alexandra Dulgheru and No.28 Daniela Hantuchova.
After the 1st round 3 of the 8 wild cards survived and they were French woman Virginie RAZZANO and Australian duo Alicia MOLIK and Jelena DOKIC. The qualifiers also nearly achieved a %50 success rate with 5 of the 12 qualifiers each winning their fourth consecutive match. These qualifiers were: Vesna MANASIEVA, Aranxta RUS, Anne KEOTHAVONG, Petra MARTIC and Lesya TSURENKO.
If you need any further details about the AUSTRALIAN OPEN or wish to make suggestions to be added and/or improved on this site, then please leave a comment. If you need help buying Australian Open tickets click here. To follow this site in real time on Twitter click-> @OnCourtAd. To join the friends of this site on Facebook click-> OnCourt Advantage.
The 2010 Australian Open Women’s singles quarter finalist Maria Kirilenko is pictured above just after making contact with the ball for this forehand drive during the 2011 Hong Kong Tennis Classic. The 1.74m Kirilenko lost to Zheng Jie of China last year after upsetting Maria Sharapova in the 1st round on her way to achieving her best career Grand Slam singles result to date.
The 23-year-old Russian turns 24 on January 25 and is the No.18 seed this year. Kirilenko is in fellow Russians No.2 seed Vera Zvonareva’s and No.16 seed Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova’s section of the draw. Kirilenko is currently ranked No.19 just 1 spot behind her career high ranking of No.18, which she first achieved on 7 July 2008.
Those players’ names that are bolded in the list below are the 16 players who are seeded to meet in the 4th round and play-off for a spot in the quarter finals. Any player whose name is italicised, has her first name removed and has her surname in lower case letters is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the 2nd round.
The 2011 Australian Open women’s singles draw for the 2nd round is:
- (1) Caroline WOZNIACKI v Vania KING
- Alberta BRIANTI v (29) Dominika CIBULKOVA
- (21) Yanina WICKMAYER v Anastasija SEVASTOVA
- (Q) Vesna MANASIEVA v (15) Marion BARTOLI
- (11) Justine HENIN v Elena BALTACHA
- (Q) Aranxta RUS v (23) Svetlana KUZNETSOVA
- (32) Tsvetana PIRONKOVA v Monica NICULESCU
- Rebecca MARINO v (6) Francesca SCHIAVONE
- (4) Venus WILLIAMS v Sandra ZAHLAVOVA
- (Q) Anne KEOTHAVONG v (30) Andrea PETKOVIC
- (20) Kaia KANEPI v Julia GOERGES
- (WC) Virginie RAZZANO v (14) Maria SHARAPOVA
- (9) LI Na v Evgeniya RODINA
- (WC) Jelena DOKIC-AUS v Barbora ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA (17) Rezai
- (28) Hantuchova Regina KULIKOVA v Chanelle SCHEEPERS
- Andrea HLAVACKOVA v (8) Victoria AZARENKA
The bottom half of the draw is:
- (7) Jelena JANKOVIC v PENG Shuai
- Caroline GARCIA v Ayumi MORITA (27) Dulgheru
- (24) Alisa KLEYBANOVA v Simona HALEP
- (Q) Petra MARTIC v (12) Agnieszka RADWANSKA
- (13) Nadia PETROVA v (WC) Alicia MOLIK-AUS
- (Q) Lesya TSURENKO v Ekaterina v MAKAROVA (19) Ivanovic
- (26) Maria Jose MARTINEZ SANCHEZ v Alize CORNET
- Carla SUAREZ NAVARRO v (3) Kim CLIJSTERS
- (5) Samantha STOSUR-AUS v Vera DUSHEVINA
- Anna CHAKVETADZE v (25) Petra KVITOVA
- (22) Flavia PENNETTA v Lourdes DOMINGUEZ LINO
- Sorana CIRSTEA v (10) Shahar PEER
- (16) Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA v Kristina BARROIS
- Iveta BENESOVA v (18) Maria KIRILENKO
- (31) Lucie SAFAROVA v Klara ZAKOPALOVA
- Bojana JOVANOVSKI v (2) Vera ZVONAREVA
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the Australian Open -> Australian Open 2011: January 12-30.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2011
© photo credit: Philip Ip