The 2011 Australian Open women’s main draw singles 2nd round matches have now been completed. The 1st round began with 128 players in action, 32 of them were seeded players, 12 were Qualifiers (Q) and 8 were Wild Cards (WC). Tomorrow the top half of the draw’s 8 matches will be played i.e. No.1 seed Caroline WOZNIACKI’s half of the draw.
On Saturday 22 January the bottom half of the draw’s eight 3rd round matches will be played i.e. No.2 seed Vera ZVONAREVA’s half of the draw. In the 3rd round only 32 players remain in contention for the title. Of the 32 seeds a further 7 seeds were upset in the 2nd round to make it 12 so far, leaving 20 seeds. After the 2nd round there are no wild card entrants remaining and only 1 qualifier Vesna MANASIEVA who upset No.15 seed Marion Bartoli as she won he 5th straight match.
If you need any further details about the AUSTRALIAN OPEN or wish to make suggestions to be added and/or improved on this site, then please leave a comment. If you need help buying Australian Open tickets click here. To follow this site in real time on Twitter click-> @OnCourtAd. To join the friends of this site on Facebook click-> OnCourt Advantage.
The surnames that are bolded in the list below are the players who are playing in the 3rd round. Any player whose name is italicised, has his first name removed and has his surname in lower case letters is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the 3rd round. The number in brackets that is added to a players’ name denotes they are a seeded player and what their seeding is.
The 2011 Australian Open women’s singles draw for the 3rd round is:
- Caroline WOZNIACKI (1) v (29) CIBULKOVA, Dominika
- (21) Wickmayer Anastasija SEVASTOVA v (Q) MANASIEVA, Vesna (15) Bartoli
- Justine HENIN (11) v (23) KUZNETSOVA, Svetlana
- (32) Pironkova Monica NICULESCU v (6) SCHIAVONE, Francesca
- Venus WILLIAMS (4) v (30) PETKOVIC, Andrea
- (20) Kanepi Julia GOERGES v (14) SHARAPOVA, Maria
- Na LI (9) v ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA, Barbora (17) Rezai
- (28) Hantuchova Chanelle SCHEEPERS v (8) AZARENKA, Victoria
The bottom half of the draw is:
- (7) Jankovic Shuai PENG v MORITA, Ayumi (27) Dulgheru
- (24) Kleybanova Simona HALEP v (12) RADWANSKA, Agnieszka
- Nadia PETROVA (13) v MAKAROVA, Ekaterina (19) Ivanovic
- (26) Martinez Sanchez Alize CORNET v (3) CLIJSTERS, Kim
- Samantha STOSUR (5) v (25) KVITOVA, Petra
- Flavia PENNETTA (22) v (10) PEER, Shahar
- Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA (16) v BENESOVA, Iveta (18) Kirilenko
- Lucie SAFAROVA (31) v (2) ZVONAREVA, Vera
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the Australian Open -> Australian Open 2011: January 12-30.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2011
photo credit: n.hewson