The 2011 Australian Open women’s qualifying singles event was scheduled to be completed today. The qualifying began on Thursday 13 January with 96 players battling for the 12 spots allocated to qualifiers in the main draw of the singles event. A fourth day of qualifying beginning at 10am in Melbourne is required to complete the full 12 final round matches.
The women’s event allocates 4 spots less to qualifiers than the men’s singles event does. To qualify you must win 3 matches in a row in the best-of-3 sets format. Both the qualifying and main draw singles events play an advantage set in the final set. An advantage set is the same as a normal set except when the games are tied at 6 all. From 6 all a player needs to gain a two game advantage over their opponent in order to win.
Of the 24 seeds in the qualifying 12 of them were defeated in the first two rounds of qualifying, leaving the other 12 seeds amongst the 24 players in “The Qualifying Round”. The Qualifying Round is the round that decides which players qualify for the main draw, because the winner of that round qualifies.
Once a player qualifies she earns 60 WTA ranking points for qualifying. Throughout the tournament the qualifiers keep their 60 points and add it on to the points they receive for whichever round they make it to. For example, a 2nd round loss in the main draw earns a qualifier 160 points, 100 like everyone else plus their 60.
Any player whose name is italicised, has her first name removed and has her surname in lower case letters is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the final qualifying round. Once these matches are completed OCA will update all results straight away by adding the scores and bolding the winners names.
The results in the 3rd and final round of the 2011 Australian Open Women’s qualifying singles event are:
- (1) Coco VANDEWEGHE won 6-4 6-2 against Sesil KARATANTCHEVA (13) Doi
- (2) Anne KEOTHAVONG won 6-3 6-4 Irina-Camelia BEGU (17) Malek
- (3) Yung-Jan CHAN lost 0-6 2-6 to Vesna MANASIEVA (22) Krajicek
- (4) Zuzana KUCOVA lost 3-6, 6-4, 4-6 to Arina RODIONOVA (16) Minella
- (5) Yakimova Stephanie DUBOIS lost 2-6 3-6 to (24) Sania MIRZA
- (6) Sanchez Zarina DIYAS lost 6-7 (6-8), 3-6 to Irina FALCONI (20) Zec Peskiric
- (7) Anastasia PIVOVAROVA lost 6-7 (3-7), 3-6 to Anne KREMER (23) Bratchikova
- (8) Duque Marino Corinna DENTONI lost 4-6 2-6 to (14) Jamie HAMPTON
- (9) Nuria LLAGOSTERA VIVES lost 2-6 2-6 to (19) Petra MARTIC
- (10) Kurumi NARA lost 4-6 1-6 to (18) Aranxta RUS
- (11) Xinyun HAN lost 3-6 4-6 to Kathrin WOERLE (21) Cetkovska
- (12) Tatishvili Mariya KORYTTSEVA lost 5-7 4-6 to Lesya TSURENKO (15) Voegele
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the Australian Open -> Australian Open 2011: January 12-30.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2011
© photo credit: Philip Ip