photo credit:Spicks & Specks
The 2010 Roland Garros women’s main draw singles 1st round matches are now complete. The 2nd round matches will begin today Wednesday 26 May and be held over 2 days beginning at 11am local time in Paris, France each day.
UPDATED RESULTS: see the draw below. The remaining 16 2nd round matches that make up the top half of the draw will be played on Thursday 27 May. There are also 4 unfinished matches from the bottom half of the draw to be completed as well. Last updated Thursday 27 May at 2pm Paris time.
From the initial 208 women playing at Roland Garros this year (112 main draw + 96 qualifiers), only 64 players remain. An unusually high 29 of the 32 seeds survived the 1st round, so look for a number of seeds to be knocked out in the 2nd round.
Peng Shuai withdrew from the event and was replaced by Bethanie Mattek-Sands asa Lucky Loser. The 25 year old American made the most of her luck by winning through to the 2nd round to equal her 2nd best ever result in a Grand Slam singles event.
3 0f the 8 wild cards won their 1st round matches whilst 4 of the 12 qualifiers won. Kaia Kanepi who qualified this year is from Estonia and made the 2008 Roland Garros quarter finals. The 24 year old Kanepi will have to upset No.4 seed Jelena Jankovic in the 2nd round to stay alive in the women’s singles event this year.
Pictured above is 39 year old Kimiko Date Krumm just after making contact with the ball with her double handed backhand drive. The 1.63m Krumm won her 1st Grand Slam singles match since Wimbeldon in 1996 yesterday by defeating No.9 seed Dinara Safina 7-5 in the 3rd set in the biggest upset of the tournament thus far.
Krumm made her comeback to tennis in April 2008 after being retired for almost 12 years. Her best result at Roland Garros was making the semi finals in 1995, she also made the semi finals of the Australian Open in 1994 and at Wimbledon in 1996. Her career best ranking was No.4 and she is currently the World No.72. How far do you think she can climb up in the rankings?
The players name that is bolded is OCA’sprediction of who will win each match. Any player who has a line drawn through their name is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the 3rd round.
The 2010 Roland Garros 2nd round women’s singles draw is:
- (1) S.Williams v. Julia Goerges
- Jill Craybas v. (29) Pavlyuchenkova
- (18) Peer v. (LL) Bethanie Mattek-Sands
- (WC) Olivia Sanchez v. (13) Bartoli
- (12) Sharapova v. Kirsten Flipkens
- Klara Zakopalova v. (22) Henin
- (25) Zheng v. (Q) Anastasia Pivovarova
- Rossana De Los Rios v. (7) Stosur
- (4) Jankovic v. (Q) Kaia Kanepi
- Magdalena Rybarikova v. (27) A.Bondarenko
- (23) Hantuchova v. Olga Govortsova
- Sybille Bammer v. (16) Wickmayer
- (9) Safina Kimiko Date Krumm v. (WC) Jarmila Groth
- Anastasia Rodionova v. (21) Zvonareva
- (28) Kleybanova v. Ana Ivanovic
- Yaroslava Shvedova v. (8) A.Radwanska
- (6) Kuznetsova d. Andrea Petkovic 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
- (30) Kirilenko d. Yvonne Meusburger 6-3 6-3
- (17) Schiavone v. (Q) Sophie Ferguson
- (WC) Stephanie Cohen-Aloro v. (11) Li
- (14) Pennetta d. Roberta Vinci 6-1 6-1
- Polona Hercog d. (24) Safarova 6-1 6-2
- (31) Dulgheru d. Timea Bacsinszky 6-4 6-2
- (3) Wozniacki d. Tathiana Garbin 6-3 6-1
- (5) Dementieva v. Anabel Medina Garrigues
- Aleksandra Wozniak v. (32) K.Bondarenko
- (20) Martinez Sanchez Akgul Amanmuradova d. Johanna Larsson 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
- (Q) Chanelle Scheepers d. Gisela Dulko (10) Azarenka 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
- (15) Rezai d. Angelique Kerber 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
- (19) Petrova d. Agnes Szavay 6-1 6-2
- (26) Cibulkova d. Varvara Lepchenko 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
- (2) V.Williams d. Aranxta Parra Santonja 6-2 6-4
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about the 2010 Roland Garros Championships for both the men’s and women’s events. Click this link for more details -> Roland Garros: French Open 2010 May 18 – June 6.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010