The 2010 Roland Garros women’s main draw singles round of 16 matches are scheduled to be completed today. This post will be updated throughout the day’s play as the 4 matches from the top half of the draw finish.
Play will begin at 11am local time in Paris, France with the women’s matches scheduled to play as the 2nd and 4th matches on court for the day on both of the main stadiums. On Court Philippe Chartrier after the Ginepri versus Djokovic match, No.1 seed Serena Williams plays No.18 seed Shahar Peer.
This is followed by the Nadal versus Bellucci match and after that No.4 seed Jelena Jankovic plays No.23 seed Daniela Hantuchova. On Court Suzanne Lenglen No.7 seed Samantha Stosur plays No.22 seed Justine Henin at 1pm . This is followed by Verdasco versus Almagro match and after that wild card Jarmila Groth plays the unseeded Yaroslava Shvedova.
Pictured above is 27 year old Daniela Hantuchova swinging her racquet to the ball for this forehand drive. The 1.81m Slovakian has equalled her best result at Roland Garros by making the round of 16. The former World No.5 made 3 quarter finals in a row at Grand Slam singles events at Wimbledon 2002 to the 2003 Australian Open. Since then she has only achieved that once more and went one better by making the semi finals (at the 2008 Australian Open).
The current World No.26 plays against No.4 seed Jelena Jankovic for the 3rd time this year. Overall their head to head encounters are split with 3 wins each and despite Jankovic being perceived as the favourite, Hantuchova has won their last 2 matches. Both matches that they have played this year were played on clay and Hantuchova won the last match in straight sets in the Federation Cup Play Offs.
Any player who has a line drawn through their name is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the quarter finals.
The 2010 Roland Garros women’s singles quarter finals draw is:
- (1) S.Williams versus (7) Stosur
- (4) Jankovic versus Yaroslava Shvedova (8) A.Radwanska
- (6) Kuznetsova (17) Schiavone versus (3) Wozniacki
- (5) Dementieva versus (19) Petrova (2) V.Williams
The following is the current list of scores for the round of 16:
- (17) Schiavone d. (30) Kirilenko 6-4 6-4
- (3) Wozniacki d. (14) Pennetta 7-6 (7-5), 6-7 (4-7), 6-2
- (5) Dementieva d. (Q) Chanelle Scheepers 6-1 6-3
- (19) Petrova d. (2) V.Williams 6-4 6-3
- (1) S.Williams d. (18) Peer 6-2 6-2
- (7) Stosur d. (22) Henin 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Shvedova d. (WC) Groth 6-4 6-3
- (4) Jankovic d. (23) Hantuchova 6-4 6-2
- (22) Henin d. (12) Sharapova 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 this match was the final unfinished 3rd round match.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about the 2010 Roland Garros Championships for both the men’s and women’s events. Click this link for more details -> Roland Garros: French Open 2010 May 18 – June 6.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010