The 2011 Roland Garros 1st round men’s main draw singles matches have been completed. The full 2nd round draw is listed below. The 128 main draw spots ended up being divided between 16 Qualifiers (Q), 8 Wild Cards (WC), 6 Lucky Losers (LL) and 98 Direct Acceptances after 6 players were unable to play their 1st round match.
In a 128-player sized draw there are 32 seeded players who are separated in the draw so they play two rounds against lower ranked opponents before they meet another seed in the 3rd round. Of the 32 seeds five of them were knocked out in the 1st round including 2010 semi finalist and No.6 seed Tomas Berdych, No.11 seed Nicolas Almagro, No.19 Marin Cilic, No.22 Michael Llodra and No.26 Milos Raonic.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage.
The qualifiers performed very well with 8 of the 16 qualifiers winning their 1st round matches including Frenchman Stephane ROBERT who defeated Berdych, Lukasz KUBOT who knocked out Almagro and Steve DARCIS who took out Llodra. Two of the 6 lucky losers made the most of their second life by winning as well, Marsel ILHAN and Simone BOLELLI.
Of the 8 wild cards 3 French men repaid the faith of the French Tennis Federation by winning through to the 2nd round Arnaud CLEMENT, Guilllaume RUFIN and Maxime TEIXEIRA. Click this link-> Roland Garros 2011 Men’s Schedule of Play to see the FULL details about: prize money and ATP ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event.
Can Robin Soderling (pictured above) make the final for the third straight year and go one step further and win the title?
The 2011 Roland Garros men’s singles draw for the 2nd round is:
- Rafael NADAL (1) v Pablo ANDUJAR
- Antonio VEIC (Q) v (28) Nikolay DAVYDENKO
- Sam QUERREY (24) v Ivan LJUBICIC
- Xavier MALISSE v (16) Fernando VERDASCO
- Mardy FISH (10) v Robin HAASE
- Jeremy CHARDY v (18) Gilles SIMON
- Marcos BAGHDATIS (27) v (Q) Leonardo MAYER
- Albert RAMOS (Q) v (5) Robin SODERLING
- Andy MURRAY (4) v (LL) Simone BOLELLI
- Arnaud CLEMENT (WC) v Michael BERRER (26) Raonic
- Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV (21) v Andreas HAIDER-MAURER
- Tobias KAMKE v (15) Viktor TROICKI
- (11) Almagro Lukasz KUBOT (Q) v Carlos BERLOCQ
- Alejandro FALLA (Q) v (20) Florian MAYER
- Kevin ANDERSON (32) v Juan Ignacio CHELA
- Lukas ROSOL (Q) v (8) Jurgen MELZER
The bottom half of the draw is:
- David FERRER (7) v Julien BENNETEAU
- Kei NISHIKORI v (31) Sergiy STAKHOVSKY
- (22) Llodra Steve DARCIS (Q) v Philipp PETZSCHNER
- Guillaume RUFIN (WC) v (9) Gael MONFILS
- Stanislas WAWRINKA (14) v (Q) Thomas SCHOOREL
- Igor ANDREEV v (17) Jo-Wilfried TSONGA
- Janko TIPSAREVIC (29) v Pere RIBA
- Maxime TEIXEIRA (WC) v (3) Roger FEDERER
- (6) Berdych Stephane ROBERT (Q) v Fabio FOGNINI
- Marsel ILHAN (LL) v (30) Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ
- (19) Cilic Ruben RAMIREZ HIDALGO v Albert MONTANES
- Mikhail KUKUSHKIN v (12) Mikhail YOUZHNY
- Richard GASQUET (13) v Marcel GRANOLLERS
- Andreas SEPPI v (23) Thomaz BELLUCCI
- Juan Martin DEL POTRO (25) v Blaz KAVCIC
- Victor HANESCU v (2) Novak DJOKOVIC
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Roland Garros 2011: May 17-June 5.
photo credit: y.caradec