The 2011 Roland Garros 1st round women’s main draw singles matches have been completed. The full 2nd round draw is listed below. The 128 main draw spots ended up being divided between 12 Qualifiers (Q), 8 Wild Cards (WC), 1 Lucky Loser (LL) and 107 Direct Acceptances after No.23 seed Alisa Kleybanova to be replaced by (LL) Anastasia Pivovarova.
In a 128-player sized draw there are 32 seeded players who are separated in the draw so they play two rounds against lower ranked opponents before they meet another seed in the 3rd round. Of the 32 seeds seven of them are out of the singles event after the 1st round including 2008 Roland Garros singles champion and No.20 seed Ana Ivanovic, No.18 Flavia Pennetta, No.19 Shahar Pe’er, No.22 Dominika Cibulkova, No.23 Alisa Kleybanova, No.26 Nadia Petrova and No.31 Klara Zakopalova.
The qualifiers performed very well with 7 of the 12 qualifiers winning their 1st round matches including CHAN Yung-Jan of Chinese Taipei who defeated Zakopalova. Both the men’s and women’s draws saw ONLY French players of all those who were awarded wild cards win through to the 2nd round. Just like in the men’s draw 3 wild cards all French women repaid the faith of the French Tennis Federation Irnya BREMOND, Pauline PARMENTIER and Caroline GARCIA.
Click this link-> Roland Garros 2011 Women’s Schedule of Play to see the FULL details about: prize money and WTA ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event.
Can No.8 seed Samantha Stosur (pictured above) going one step further again this year and win the singles title? In 2010 the Australian was the heavy favourite in the singles final against Francesca Schiavone after defeating Justine Henin and Serena Williams and in 2009 Stosur made the semi finals. The 1980 Wimbledon win by Evonne Goolagong was the last time an Australian woman won a Grand Slam singles title.
The 2011 Roland Garros women’s singles draw for the 2nd round is:
- Caroline WOZNIACKI (1) v (Q) Aleksandra WOZNIAK
- Sara ERRANI v (28) Daniela HANTUCHOVA
- (19) Pe’er Maria Jose MARTINEZ SANCHEZ v Rebecca MARINO
- Irina-Camelia BEGU v (13) Svetlana KUZNETSOVA
- Marion BARTOLI (11) v (Q) Olga GOVORTSOVA
- Lucie SAFAROVA v (17) Julia GOERGES
- Tsvetana PIRONKOVA (32) v Gisela DULKO
- Simona HALEP v (8) Samantha STOSUR
- Vera ZVONAREVA (3) v (Q) Sabine LISICKI
- Edina GALLOVITS-HALL v Anastasia RODIONOVA (26) Petrova
- (23) Kleybanova Nuria LLAGOSTERA VIVES (Q) v Alize CORNET
- Mona BARTHEL (Q) v (14) Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA
- Jelena JANKOVIC (10) v Vera DUSHEVINA
- Bethanie MATTEK-SANDS v Varvara LEPCHENKO (18) Pennetta
- PENG Shuai (29) v Polona HERCOG
- Vesna DOLONTS v (5) Francesca SCHIAVONE
The bottom half of the draw is:
- LI Na (6) v (Q) Silvia SOLER-ESPINOSA
- Sorana CIRSTEA v (27) Alexandra DULGHERU
- (22) Cibulkova Vania KING v Elena BALTACHA
- ZHENG Jie v (9) Petra KVITOVA
- Kaia KANEPI (16) v (Q) Heather WATSON
- Ekaterina MAKAROVA v Johanna LARSSON (20) Ivanovic
- Roberta VINCI (30) v (WC) Iryna BREMOND
- Pauline PARMENTIER (WC) v (4) Victoria AZARENKA
- Maria SHARAPOVA (7) v (WC) Caroline GARCIA
- Jill CRAYBAS v (Q) CHAN Yung-Jan (31) Zakopalova
- Yanina WICKMAYER (21) v Ayumi MORITA
- Sania MIRZA v (12) Agnieszka RADWANSKA
- Andrea PETKOVIC (15) v Lucie HRADECKA
- Anabel MEDINA GARRIGUES v (24) Jarmila GAJDOSOVA
- Maria KIRILENKO (25) v Chanelle SCHEEPERS
- Aranxta RUS v (2) Kim CLIJSTERS
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Roland Garros 2011: May 17-June 5.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2011
photo credit: chascow