The 2012 Roland Garros women’s main draw singles 1st round matches are complete. The 2nd round matches will begin today Wednesday 30 May and be held over two days. You can see the full 2nd round draw below and the daily 2012 Roland Garros Order of Play lists exactly who plays, when and on which court each day throughout this tournament for both the men and women.
From the initial 208 women playing at Roland Garros this year (112 main draw + 96 qualifiers), only 64 players remain. 26 of the 32 seeds survived the 1st round, 3 of the 8 wild cards and 6 of the 12 qualifiers won their fourth straight match to earn a place in the 2nd round. Lucky Loser [LL] Sesil KARATANTCHEVA has made the most of her luck in getting to play in the main draw after losing in the final round of qualifying. The biggest upset by far was former World No.1 and 13-time Grand Slam singles champion Serena Williams being upset by France’s Virginie RAZZANO.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. To watch the tennis in Singapore you need to add 6 hours to the local time in Paris to work out the equivalent Singapore time.
The matches numbered in the draw below commencing with Victoria Azarenka and ending with Marion Bartoli are from the top half of the draw and all 16 of them are scheduled to be played today. The bottom half of the draw’s 16 matches beginning with Li Na and ending with Maria Sharapova will be played on Thursday. Only the Top 16 seeds names have been bolded below to highlight how many of those players expected to be playing off against each other for a quarter final berth are progressing.
In Grand Slam singles tournaments the two halves of the draw are played on alternate days for the majority of the tournament. Each of the Grand Slam events uses their own schedule of when both halves of the draw start playing on the same day. At Roland Garros this is not until the semi final stage. For full coverage of the 2012 Roland Garros tournament visit Roland Garros Tennis 2012.
The 2012 Roland Garros 2nd round women’s singles draw is:
- Victoria AZARENKA  v [Q] Dinah PFIZENMAIER
- Aleksandra WOZNIAK v  ZHENG Jie
- Lucie SAFAROVA  v Maria Jose MARTINEZ SANCHEZ
- Vania KING v  Dominika CIBULKOVA
- Bethanie MATTEK-SANDS v Sloane STEPHENS
- Mathilde JOHANSSON v  Petra CETKOVSKA
- Nadia PETROVA  v Chanelle SCHEEPERS
- Irina FALCONI v  Samantha STOSUR
- Agnieszka RADWANSKA  v Venus WILLIAMS
- CHAN Yung-Jan [Q] v  Svetlana KUZNETSOVA
- Sara ERRANI  v [WC] Melanie OUDIN
- Shahar PEER v  Ana IVANOVIC
- Angelique KERBER  v Olga GOVORTSOVA
- Alexa GLATCH [Q] v  Flavia PENNETTA
- Anabel MEDINA GARRIGUES  v [WC] Irena PAVLOVIC
- Petra MARTIC v  Marion BARTOLI
The bottom half of the draw is:
- LI Na  v Stephanie FORETZ GACON
- Christina MCHALE v [Q] Lauren DAVIS
- Sofia ARVIDSSON v [Q] Yaroslava SHVEDOVA
- Carla SUAREZ NAVARRO v (LL) Sesil KARATANTCHEVA
- Francesca SCHIAVONE  v Tsvetana PIRONKOVA
- Varvara LEPCHENKO v  Jelena JANKOVIC
- Nina BRATCHIKOVA v [WC] Claire FEUERSTEIN
- Urszula RADWANSKA v  Petra KVITOVA
- Virginie RAZZANO v Aranxta RUS
- Heather WATSON v  Julia GOERGES
- Kaia KANEPI  v Irina-Camelia BEGU
- Jarmila GAJDOSOVA v  Caroline WOZNIACKI
- Maria KIRILENKO  v Klara ZAKOPALOVA
- Melinda CZINK v  Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA
- PENG Shuai  v Lourdes DOMINGUEZ LINO
- Ayumi MORITA v  Maria SHARAPOVA
OnCourt Advantage supplies all the details YOU need to make it easy to follow tennis, get your tennis tickets and watch men’s and women’s professional tennis on the WTA, ATP Tour and for each Grand Slam tournament all year round.
© photo credit: Ralf Reinecke