(7) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga versus (11) Fernando Gonzalez
(13) Gael Monfils v. (3) Rafael Nadal
(6) Juan Martin del Potro v. (24) Juan Carlos Ferrero (9) Simon
(16) Marin Cilic v. (2) Andy Murray
The top half of the draws round of 16 match ups will begin on Monday 7 September at 11am New York time.
The top half of the draws match ups are:
- (1) Roger Federer v. (14) Tommy Robredo
- (12) Robin Soderling v. (8) Nikolay Davydenko
- (4) Novak Djokovic v. (15) Radek Stepanek
- (10) Fernando Verdasco v. John Isner (5) Roddick
Pictured above is Fernando Gonzalez of Chile hitting his mighty forehand. The 29 year old has made the quarter finals of US Open before, the French Open semi-finals this year and was a finalist at the 2007 Australian Open.
Gonzalez has a career high ranking of No.5 and is in career best form. The 1.83m charismatic competitor did not lose serve once in his straight set victory over No.17 seed Tomas Berdych.
The red hot Chilean has only dropped 1 set thus far and is hitting 2 winners for every 1 unforced error he commits. Gonzalez is a power hitter and looks set to do some damage.
The Tsonga versus Gonzalez match is shaping up as the best match up in the bottom half of the draw. Can Gonzalez go one better than his best Grand Slam singles result and win the US Open?
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further updates about the 2009 US Open singles events. Click this link to see an index of all 2009 US Open posts -> US Open 2009: Aug 25 – Sep 14.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2009
photo credit: cpozo