Last updated at 11:15pm New York time on Sunday 5 September. See the latest results and scores below…
The 2010 US Open men’s 2nd round of the singles main draw is now complete. Of the 32 seeds that were seeded to win through to the 3rd round 13 of them have been knocked out including the No.6, 7 and 9 seeds Nikolay Davydenko, Tomas Berdych and Andy Roddick. The remaining 19 seeds are joined by one wild card (James Blake), one qualifier (Kei Nishikori) and 11 direct acceptances.
The Top 5 seeds will be in action players over the next 2 days as they chase a place in the last 16. Of the top seeds No.2 Roger Federer and No.4 seed Andy Murray have been the most impressive players to date as they have only dropped 13 games and 15 games respectively. Federer and Murray were also the form players leading into the US Open with each player winning a major tournament. Murray defeated Federer in the final of the Canadian Open and Federer won the Cincinnati Open. Federer is the only player left in the draw to have won the US Open title before.
Pictured above is 24 year old Richard Gasquet of France captured just after he has made contact with the ball for this forehand drive. The 1.85m Gasquet uses the HEAD YouTek Extreme Pro tennis racquet. If you are in Hong Kong and want one of Richard’s racquets or advice on which racquet would be the best for you to use, just email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gasquet took the scalp of the highest seed to be knocked out thus far in style with a 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 to move into the 3rd round with the loss of only 18 games. The great free swinging game of Gasquet saw him make the semi finals of Wimbledon in 2007. His next best result in a Grand Slam singles tournament is making the round of 16, which he did in 2005 and 2006 at the US Open.
Gasquet will be looking to make it through to the round of 16 for the 8th time in a Grand Slam event when he takes on World No.77 Kevin Anderson of South Africa. Gasquet has never played the 2.03m Anderson before but the former World No.7 will have the edge in experience as the 24 year old Anderson had never won a round in a Grand Slam until this event in the past 11 Grand Slams that he has played.
Anderson and Sergiy Stakhovsky both won their 2nd round matches in the 5th set tie-break. Stakhovsky faced 3 consecutive match points when he trailed 18 year old American Ryan Harrison who qualified by 6 points 3 in the final set tie-break before winning 5 straight points to win 8-6. The American fans have 4 locals left to place their hopes on – No.18 seed John Isner, No.19 Mardy Fish, No.20 Sam Querrey and James Blake.
OCA will keep you updated with all of the 3rd round results as matches are completed, right here on this post. The matches numbered from No.1 to No.8 in the draw below are the matches from the top half of the draw, whilst matches No.9 to No.16 are the matches from the bottom half of the draw. The matches from the bottom half of the draw scheduled for today with the top half of the draw to be completed tomorrow.
The player’s name that is bolded in the 3rd round singles draw below is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. Any player whose name is italicised and has his first name removed is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the 3rd round. For further details about the men’s event you can visit -> US Open 2010 Men’s Schedule of Play.
The 2010 US Open men’s singles draw for the 3rd round is:
- (1) Rafael Nadal versus Gilles Simon (29) Kohlschreiber
- (23) Feliciano Lopez v. Sergiy Stakhovsky (15) Ljubicic
- (10) David Ferrer v. Daniel Gimeno-Traver (24) Gulbis
- (31) David Nalbandian v. (8) Fernando Verdasco
- (4) Andy Murray v. (25) Stanislas Wawrinka
- (20) Sam Querrey v. (14) Nicolas Almagro
- (12) Mikhail Youzhny v. (18) John Isner
- (28) Stepanek Tommy Robredo v. Michael Llodra (7) Berdych
- (6) Davydenko Richard Gasquet v. Kevin Anderson (26) Bellucci
- (17) Gael Monfils v. Janko Tipsarevic (9) Roddick
- (16) Baghdatis Arnaud Clement v. (19) Mardy Fish
- (30) Monaco (WC) James Blake v. (3) Novak Djokovic
- (5) Robin Soderling v. Thiemo de Bakker (27) Gonzalez
- (21) Albert Montanes v. (Q) Kei Nishikori (11) Cilic
- (13) Jurgen Melzer v. (22) Juan Carlos Ferrero
- (32) Hewitt Paul-Henri Mathieu v. (2) Roger Federer
The US Open results for Saturday 4 September are:
- (2) Roger Federer defeated Paul-Henri Mathieu 6-4, 6-3, 6-3
- (3) Novak Djokovic def. (WC) James Blake 6-1, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
- (5) Robin Soderling def. Thiemo de Bakker 6-2, 6-3, 6-3
- (13) Jurgen Melzer def. (22) Juan Carlos Ferrero 7-5, 6-3, 6-1
- (17) Gael Monfils def. Janko Tipsarevic 7-6 (7-4), 6-7 (4-7), 6-2, 6-4
- (19) Mardy Fish def. Arnaud Clement 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
- (21) Albert Montanes def. (Q) Kei Nishikori 6-2, 2-1 retired
- Richard Gasquet def. Kevin Anderson 6-4, 7-6 (7-3), 7-5
The US Open results for Sunday 5 September are:
- (1) Rafael Nadal def. Gilles Simon 6-4, 6-4, 6-2
- (4) Andy Murray lost to (25) Stanislas Wawrinka 7-6 (7-3), 6-7 (4-7), 3-6, 3-6
- (8) Fernando Verdasco def. (31) David Nalbandian 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
- (10) David Ferrer def. Daniel Gimeno-Traver 7-6 (7-2), 6-2, 6-2
- (12) Mikhail Youzhny def. (18) John Isner 6-4, 6-7 (7-9), 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
- (14) Nicolas Almagro lost to (20) Sam Querrey 3-6, 4-6, 4-6
- (23) Feliciano Lopez def. Sergiy Stakhovsky 6-3 4-0 retired
- Tommy Robredo def. Michael Llodra 3-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-4, 2-1 retired
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the US Open including the schedules of play -> US Open 2010 August 24-September 12.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010