Last updated at 11:10pm New York time on Saturday 4 September. See the latest results and scores below…
The 2010 US Open women’s 2nd round of the singles main draw is now complete. Of the 32 seeds that were seeded to win through to the 3rd round 12 of them have been knocked out including the No.8, 9 and 10 seeds Li Na, Agnieszka Radwanska and Victoria Azarenka.
The Top 7 seeds will be in action players over the next 2 days as they chase a place in the last 16. No.1 seed Caroline Wozniacki and No.6 seed Francesca Schiavone have been the most impressive players to date as they have only dropped 2 games and 4 games respectively. There are 4 players left in the draw who have won the US Open singles title in the past, they are Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Kim Clijsters and Svetlana Kuznetsova.
Pictured above is 25 year old Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia captured as she is making contact with the ball for this double handed backhand drive. The 1.74m Kuznetsova uses the HEAD YouTek Extreme Pro tennis racquet. If you are in Hong Kong and want one of Svetlana’s racquets or advice on which racquet would be the best for you to use, just email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kuznetsova won the 2009 Roland Garros singles title and the 2004 US Open. Kuznetsova achieved her career high ranking of No.2 in 2007 after being the runner-up at the 2007 US Open. The Russian has returned to form of late including make the semi finals of the Canadian Open in Montreal and winning the singles title in San Diego last month. Another big run by Kuznetsova at the US Open would place her in contention for 1 of the 8 spots in the WTA Tour Finals.
OCA will keep you updated with all of the 3rd round results as matches are completed, right here on this post. The matches numbered from No.1 to No.8 in the draw below are the matches from the top half of the draw, whilst matches No.9 to No.16 are the matches from the bottom half of the draw. The matches are from the bottom half of the draw scheduled for today with the top half of the draw to be completed tomorrow.
The player’s name that is bolded in the round of 16 singles draw below is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. Any player whose name is italicised and has his first name removed is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the 3rd round. For further details about the women’s event you can visit -> US Open 2010 Women’s Schedule of Play.
The 2010 US Open women’s singles draw for the 3rd round is:
- (1) Caroline Wozniacki versus Chan Yung-Jan (26) Safarova
- (18) Rezai (WC) Beatrice Capra v. (14) Maria Sharapova
- (11) Svetlana Kuznetsova v. (23) Maria Kirilenko
- (30) Shvedova (Q) Lourdes Dominguez Lino v. Dominika Cibulkova (8) Li
- (4) Jelena Jankovic v. (31) Kaia Kanepi
- (22) Martinez Sanchez Patty Schnyder v. (15) Yanina Wickmayer
- (9) A.Radwanska Peng Shuai v. Andrea Petkovic (17) Petrova
- (25) Alexandra Dulgheru v. (7) Vera Zvonareva
- (6) Francesca Schiavone v. (29) Alona Bondarenko
- (20) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova v. Gisela Dulko (10) Azarenka
- (16) Shahar Peer v. (19) Flavia Pennetta
- (32) Pironkova (Q) Mandy Minella v. (3) Venus Williams
- (5) Samantha Stosur v. Sara Errani (28) Kleybanova
- (24) Daniela Hantuchova v. (12) Elena Dementieva
- (13) Bartoli (WC) Virgine Razzano v. Ana Ivanovic (21) Zheng
- (27) Petra Kvitova v. (2) Kim Clijsters
Thus far the completed 3rd round matches at the 2010 US Open are:
- (6) Francesca Schiavone defeated (29) Alona Bondarenko 6-1 7-5
- (20) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova def. Gisela Dulko 6-1 6-2
- (16) Shahar Peer def. (19) Flavia Pennetta 6-4 6-4
- (Q) Mandy Minella lost to (3) Venus Williams 2-6 1-6
- (5) Samantha Stosur def. Sara Errani 6-2 6-3
- (24) Daniela Hantuchova lost to (12) Elena Dementieva 5-7 2-6
- (WC) Virgine Razzano lost to Ana Ivanovic 5-7 0-6
- (27) Petra Kvitova lost to (2) Kim Clijsters 3-6 0-6
The US Open schedule of play for Saturday 4 September is:
- (1) Caroline Wozniacki def. Chan Yung-Jan 6-1 6-0
- (WC) Beatrice Capra lost to (14) Maria Sharapova 0-6 0-6
- (11) Svetlana Kuznetsova def. (23) Maria Kirilenko 6-3 6-4
- (Q) Lourdes Dominguez Lino lost to Dominika Cibulkova 0-6 1-6
- (4) Jelena Jankovic lost to (31) Kaia Kanepi 2-6 6-7 (1-7)
- Patty Schnyder lost to (15) Yanina Wickmayer 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 6-7 (6-8)
- Peng Shuai lost to Andrea Petkovic walkover
- (25) Alexandra Dulgheru lost to (7) Vera Zvonareva 2-6 6-7 (2-7)
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the US Open including the schedules of play -> US Open 2010 August 24-September 12.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010