photo credit:Kenneth Hong
The 2010 US Open women’s qualifying singles event is now complete. The qualifying began on Tuesday 24 August with 128 players battling for the 16 spots allocated to qualifiers in the main draw of the singles event. The qualifying was scheduled to be completed on Friday 27 August but required an extra day, so was completed over night (Hong Kong time), on Saturday 28 August in New York.
To qualify you must win 3 matches in a row in the best of 3 sets format with the final set being a tie-break set and not an advantage set making the US Open the only Grand Slam that does not play an advantage set in the final set. Of the 32 seeds in the qualifying 20 of them were defeated in the first two rounds of qualifying, leaving only 12 seeds amongst the 32 players in “The Qualifying Round”. The Qualifying Round is the round that decides which players qualify for the main draw, because the winner of that round qualifies.
Of the 16 American women in the qualifying draw 12 of them were defeated in the 1st round, 3 were defeated in the 2nd round and wild card entrant Irina Falconi was the only American woman to qualify. The 20 year old Falconi is already at her career high ranking No.385 and will have new career high after this US Open.
Once a player qualifies she earns 60 WTA ranking points for qualifying even if she loses in the 1st round of the main draw. Throughout the tournament the qualifiers keep their 25 points and add it on to the points they receive for whichever round they make it to in the main draw. For example, a 2nd round loss earns a qualifier 70 points, 45 like everyone else plus their 25. A 3rd round loss earns a qualifier 115 points whereas everyone else would earn 90 points.
There were 3 women who qualified for the US Open who also qualified at Wimbledon this year, they were Mirjana Lucic, Monica Niculescu and Nuria Llagostera Vives who made it 3 Grand Slams in a row as she qualified at Roland Garros this year as well.
Pictured above is 2010 Australian Open singles semi finalist Li Na of China beginning to swing her racquet forward to drive this forehand ground stroke during practice at the US Open two days ago. The 28 year old 1.72m Li achieved her career high ranking of No.9 this week and heads into the US Open defending her 2009 US Open quarter final points.
Last year Li was knocked out by eventual champion Kim Clijsters in the quarter finals, which started her run of making 3 of the past 4 Grand Slam quarter finals or better. This year Li is in No.1 seed Caroline Wozniacki’s quarter of the draw whom she has a 2-1 advantage over in their past matches. Li won both times that they played this year and both matches were on hard courts.
Those players’ names that are bolded in the list below are the 16 players who have qualified for the women’s singles main draw. The highest ranked player to lose in the final round of qualifying was No.6 seed Evgeniya Rodina. Rodina is the first player to take a spot in the main draw as a Lucky Loser (LL) provided she signs-in to be eligible to be selected. A lucky loser spot opens up if any player withdraws from the tournament BEFORE playing her 1st round match. 2nd in line for a LL spot is No.11 seed Patricia Mayr and the next in line is No.19 seed Katie O’Brien who also lost at the last hurdle.
Any player whose name is italicised and has his first name removed is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the final qualifying round.
The results in the 3rd round and final round of the 2010 US Open Women’s qualifying singles event are:
- (1) Akgul Amanmuradova defeated Valerie Tetreault (26) Pous Tio 6-4 6-3
- (2) Dokic Laura Robson lost to (17) Nuria Llagostera Vives 6-2, 4-6, 3-6
- (3) Monica Niculescu def. Florencia Molinero (22) Floris 6-0 6-4
- (4) Zhang Mirjana Lucic def. (29) Sesil Karatantcheva 6-1 6-4
- (5) Lepchenko Junri Namigata lost to Sally Peers (27) Zec Peskiric 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 4-6
- (6) Evgeniya Rodina lost to Tamira Paszek (24) Krajicek 6-2, 3-6, 0-6
- (7) Perry Mandy Minella def. Arina Rodionova (28) Osterloh 7-5, 7-6 (8-6)
- (8) Hlavackova Lourdes Dominguez Lino def. (ALT) Kristyna Pliskova (18) Rus 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
- (9) Duque Marino Sharon Fichman lost to Rebecca Marino (32) Bratchikova 2-6 1-6
- (10) Pivovarova (WC) Irina Falconi def. (25) Stephanie Dubois 6-3 6-1
- (11) Patricia Mayr lost to (21) Maria Elena Camerin 3-6 1-6
- (12) Zuzana Kucova def. Tetiana Luzhanska (31) Bychkova 6-4 6-0
- (13) Zuzana Ondraskova def. Anna Tatishvili (30) Groenefeld 7-5, 2-6, 7-6 (7-5)
- (14) De Los Rios Olga Savchuk def. (19) Katie O’Brien 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
- (15) Malek Sania Mirza def. Catalina Castano (20) Sanchez 6-1, 1-6, 6-3
- (16) Yakimova Michelle Larcher de Brito def. (23) Alexandra Panova 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the US Open including the schedules of play -> US Open 2010 August 24-September 12.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010