The 2012 US Open tennis championships are the 11th MAJOR tournament of the “BIG 14″ tournaments on the women’s professional tennis tour each year. The US Open is also commonly known as “THE Open” and is held in New York in the USA. In this post how the WTA ranking points, prize money are allocated and what the schedule of play is so YOU can follow, watch and/or attend this tournament.
The total financial commitment for the 2012 US Open tournament is 25.526 million US dollars compared to 23.718 million in 2011. The total prize money for the Women’s Singles event is $9,406,000, increased by 938,000 from last year’s 8,468,000. The Women’s Singles Champion wins $1.9 million, which was an increase of $100,000 from 2011.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. To watch the tennis in Singapore add 12 hours to the New York local times listed below and to work out the equivalent Singapore time for this daily 2012 US Open Order of Play.
The women’s event begins on Tuesday 24 August with the qualifying singles draw and the Women’s Singles Final will be played on Saturday 8 September. The US Open is the fourth and final Grand Slam tournament each year. The centre court is called Arthur Ashe Stadium and seats 23,700 spectators. The US Championships were first held in 1881 and have been played at the current venue since 1978.
Samantha STOSUR is pictured during the 2011 US Open Women’s Singles Final in the early stages of her service motion as she sets the ball in place and focuses on the ball in preparation to launch another lethal serve. The 27-year-old Stosur won her first Grand Slam singles title by defeating former World No.1 Serena Williams 6-2 6-3 in 1 hour and 13 minutes. Stosur was the runner-up in 2010 at Roland Garros in her next best Grand Slam singles result.
The 1.72m right-hander became the first Australian woman since Evonne Goolagong at Wimbledon in 1980 to win a Grand Slam singles title. Stosur achieved her career-high singles ranking to date of No.4 on 21 February 2011 and first achieved the World No.1 doubles ranking on 6 February 2006.
The WTA ranking points and prize money is awarded to the players like this:
- The winner earns 2,000 points + $1,900,000;
- The runner-up earns 1,400 points + $950,000;
- The two semi finalists earn 900 points + $475,000;
- The four quarter finalists earn 500 points + $237,500;
- The 8 players who lose in the round of 16 earn 280 points + $120,000;
- The 16 players who lose in the 3rd round earn 160 points + $65,000;
- The 32 players who lose in the 2nd round earn 100 points + $37,000;
- The *players who lose in the 1st round earn 5 points + $23,000.
Please note that the tournament management can alter the schedule from day to day.
The schedule of play for the 2012 women’s singles event at the US Open is:
- Tuesday 21 August: Qualifying 1st round at 11am;
- Wednesday 22 August: Qualifying 1st round at 11am;
- Thursday 23 August: Qualifying 2nd round at 11am;
- Friday 24 August: Qualifying 3rd round at 11am;
- Monday 27 August: Main Draw at 11am and 7pm;
- Tuesday 28 August: 1st round at 11am and 7pm;
- Wednesday 29 August: 2nd round at 11am and 7pm;
- Thursday 30 August: 2nd round at 11am and 7pm;
- Friday 31 August: 3rd round at 11am and 7pm;
- Saturday 1 September: 3rd round at 11am and 7pm;
- Sunday 2 September: Round of 16 at 11am and 7pm;
- Monday 3 September: Round of 16 at 11am and 7pm;
- Tuesday 4 September: Quarter Finals at 11am and 7pm;
- Wednesday 5 September: Quarter Finals at 11am and 7pm;
- Thursday 6 September: No women’s singles matches today;
- Friday 7 September: Semi Finals from 1:45pm; and
- Saturday 8 September: Women’s Singles Final at 7pm.
*The points awarded to a 1st round loser vary according to how they were allocated a place in the 1st round.
© photo credit: Richard van loon