The 2010 Wimbledon Gentlemen’s main draw singles matches began on Monday 21 June and are scheduled to be completed over 2 days. Yesterday the top half of the draw was played, which includes No.1 seed Roger Federer. Today the bottom half of the draw is on and includes No.2 seed Rafael Nadal.
This post will be updated once the 1st round is completed to include all of the 1st round singles results. All 32 matches were completed on Day 1, which leaves another 32 1st round matches to be played today. Of the 16 seeded players in action 12 won through to the 2nd round and 4 were knocked out. The highest seed to be knocked out in the 1st round was No.11 Marin Cilic. The other 3 seeds who lost were No.17 Ivan Ljubicic, No.20 Stanislas Wawrinka and then No.30 Tommy Robredo.
UPDATED NEWS and RESULTS: last updated Tuesday 22 June at 1pm London time.
In 2 matches on Day 1 players came back to win after being 2 sets to love down, including 2009 Wimbledon champion Roger Federer. The 28 year old Federer is aiming to equal Pete Sampras with 7 Wimbledon singles titles at this years event. Marsel Ilhan from Turkey qualified for the main draw also came back after losing the 1st 2 sets. The 23 year old is playing his 1st Wimbledon and has a chance to record his best result in a Grand Slam singles event if he can win his 2nd round match.
Pictured above is 26 year old Colombian Alejandro Falla just after he has made contact with the ball during his service action. The 1.85m left hander served very well and played aggressively in as far as he was dictating the points most of the time against Federer until the later stages of the 3rd set.
Falla had triple break point against Federer at 4 games all in the 3rd set, so was just 1 point away from serving for a straight sets win against Federer when he tightened up. Falla began playing cautiously which was evidenced by the fact that he reduced the power of his shots, no longer went after the ball so instead, he backed away and played from a more defensive court position when it counted. Federer just snuck out the 3rd set by taking the tie break before winning the 5th set 6-0.
1st round matches completed on Day 1 – Monday 21 June:
- (1) Federer d. Alejandro Falla
- (Q) Illija Bozoljac d. Nicolas Massu
- Arnaud Clement d. Janko Tipsarevic
- Peter Luczak d. (30) Robredo
- (22) Lopez d. (LL) Jesse Levine
- (Q) Ricardas Berankis d. (Q) Carsten Ball
- Viktor Troicki d. Igor Kunitsyn
- (16) Melzer d. Dustin Brown
- (12) Berdych d. Andrej Golubev
- Benjamin Becker d. (LL) Ryan Sweeting
- Rainer Schuettler d. Dmitry Tursunov
- Denis Istomen d. (20) Wawrinka
- (31) Hanescu d. (WC) Andrey Kuznetsov
- (Q) Marsel Ilhan d. Marcos Daniel
- Daniel Brands d. Igor Andreev
- (7) Davydenko d. Kevin Anderson
- (3) Djokovic d. Olivier Rochus
- (Q) Taylor Dent d. Juan Ignacio Chela
- (Q) Brendan Evans d. (Q) Jesse Huta Galung
- (28) Montanes d. Paolo Lorenzi
- (21) Monfils d. Leonardo Mayer
- Karol Beck d. (Q) Santiago Ventura
- Evgeny Korolev d. Eduardo Schwank
- (15) Hewitt d. Maximo Gonzalez
- Florian Mayer d. (11) Cilic
- Mardy Fish d. (Q) Bernard Tomic
- Yen-Hsun Lu d. Horacio Zeballos
- Michal Prezysiezny d. (17) Ljubicic
- (29) Kohlschreiber d. Potito Starace
- (WC) Teimuraz Gabashvili d. (LL) Ramon Delgado
- Michael Llodra d. (Q) Jesse Witten
- (5) Roddick d. Rajeev Ram
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about the 2010 Wimbledon singles events. Click this link for more details including both of the Schedules of Play -> Wimbledon 2010: June 14-July 4.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010