The 2010 Wimbledon Gentlemen’s qualifying singles event is now complete. The qualifying began on Monday 14 June with 128 players battling for the 16 spots allocated to qualifiers in the main draw of the singles event.
To qualify you must win 3 matches in a row and unlike any of the other 3 Grand Slam singles tournaments at Wimbledon the final round of qualifying is best out of 5 sets. All of the other Slams play best out of 3 sets in all 3 rounds of qualifying whereas Wimbledon plays best out of 3 sets for the 1st 2 rounds.
Of the 32 seeds in the qualifying 18 of them were defeated in the 1st two rounds of qualifying, leaving only 14 seeds amongst the 32 players in “The Qualifying Round”. The Qualifying Round is the round that decides which players qualify for the main draw, because the winner of that round qualifies.
Once a player qualifies he earns 25 ATP ranking points for qualifying and another 10 points for playing in the 1st round. Throughout the tournament the qualifiers keep their 25 points and add it on to the points they receive for whichever round they make it to. For example, a 2nd round loss earns a qualifier 70 points, 45 like everyone else plus their 25. A 3rd round loss earns a qualifier 115 points, whereas everyone else would earn 90 points.
If a player is awarded a place in the main draw as a Lucky Loser Once he does not get the 25 ATP ranking points that a qualifier does. The Lucky Loser gets the 14 points he earned for making it to the 3rd round of qualifying. Throughout the tournament the Lucky Loser keeps his 14 points and adds it on to the points allocated for whichever round he makes it to. For example, a 1st round loss earns a Lucky Loser 24 points, 10 like everyone else plus his 14. A 2nd round loss earns him 59 points, 14 +45 and a 3rd round loss earns him 104 points, 14 + 90.
All 10 British men in the qualifying draw were defeated in the 1st or 2nd round with the British No.2 player (behind Andy Murray), Alex Bogdanovic putting up a huge fight before being defeated 24 games to 22 in the final set against No.27 seed from France, Nicolas Mahut. Mahut and Ivan Dodig both came back from 2 sets to love down to win in 5 sets to qualify.
Pictured above is 2003 Roland Garros singles champion Juan Carlos Ferrero preparing to swing forward to drive this forehand ground stroke for a winner. The 30 year old 1.83m Spaniard made the quarter finals for the 2nd time last year after getting to the same round in 2007.
Last year Ferrero lost in the quarter finals to Andy Murray in straight sets but his performance kick started his climb back towards the top of the game. After Wimbledon the former World No.1 climbed up from No.90 to No.37. For the past 6 years Ferrero’s best Grand Slam results have been on grass. This year he comes in as the No.14 seed. Can Ferrero make his 3rd quarter final or better at Wimbledon this year?
Those players names that are bolded in the list below are the 16 players who have qualified for the men’s singles main draw. The highest ranked player to lose in the final round of qualifying was No.9 seed Jesse Levine which means he would be the 1st player to take a spot in the main draw as a Lucky Loser if any player withdraws from the tournament BEFORE playing his 1st round match.
The results in the 3rd round and final round of the 2010 Wimbledon Gentlemen’s qualifying singles event are:
- (1) Taylor Dent d. Matthew Ebden 4-6, 7-6 (7-1), 7-6 (10-8), 6-3
- Martin Fischer d. (24) Ramon Delgado 6-4, 7-5, 7-6 (7-2)
- (29) Ilija Bozoljac d. Ryler Deheart 7-6 (7-1), 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
- (19) Carsten Ball d. Gilles Muller 6-4, 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
- Rik De Voest d. Andre Begemann 6-3, 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
- Ivan Dodig d. Alexander Peya 4-6, 2-6, 6-2 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
- Guillermo Alcaide d. Evgeny Kirillov 6-4, 6-3, 6-4
- Bernard Tomic d. Prakash Amritraj 7-6 (7-3), 6-3, 6-4
- (17) Tobias Kamke d. (9) Jesse Levine 4-6, 6-2, 6-2, 6-3
- Jesse Huta Galung d. Adrian Mannarino 6-3, 6-3, 6-3
- (11) Marsel Ilhan d. Roko Karanusic 7-5, 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
- Robert Kendrick d. (12) Ryan Sweeting 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 8-6
- (27) Nicolas Mahut d. (11) Stefan Koubek 6-7 (8-10), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-4
- Brendan Evans d. (18) Julian Reister 7-6 (15-13), 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
- Jesse Witten d. (15) Go Soeda 6-2, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
- (30) Ricardas Berankis d. (16) Santiago Ventura 7-5, 6-1, 6-3
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about the 2010 Wimbledon singles events. Click this link for more details including both of the Schedules of Play -> Wimbledon 2010: June 14-July 4.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010