photo credit:Christian Mesiano
The 2010 Wimbledon women’s main draw singles round of 16 matches are scheduled to be completed today. This post will be throughout the day’s play as the matches are completed.
Play will begin at 12 noon local time in London. No wild cards entrants have made it through to the last 16 and only one qualifier of the 12 remain. Kaia Kanepi from Estonia who knocked out 2010 Roland Garros runner-up and No.6 seed Samantha Stosur in the 1st round is the sole qualifier. In fact 11 of the 16 players are seeds and 4 are Direct Acceptances (DA). The 4 DA’s are Petra Kvitova, Klara Zakopalova, Tsvetana Pironkova and Jarmila Groth. The remaining 13 seeds are No.’s 1 to 4, 7, 8, 9, 11, 16, 17 and 21.
Of the 32 seeds, 21 seeds did not make it through to the round of 16. This means that there are 4 of the 8 round of 16 matches in which 2 seeds are playing against each other. 7 of the Top 10 seeds have survived thus far, which means there will be many great match ups to watch today.
Former Wimbledon champions Serena Williams, Venus Williams and Maria Sharapova will be in action in the round of 16. As will 7-time Grand Slam singles champion Justine Henin and dual US Open champion Kim Clijsters. There are also another 3 players who have made it to a Grand Slam singles final in the past looking to go one step further, those players are Caroline Wozniacki, Jelena Jankovic and Marion Bartoli.
Pictured above is 25 year old Vera Zvonareva just after making contact with the ball with this double handed backhand drive. The 1.72m Zvonareva has a chance to reach her first quarter final at Wimbledon after losing in the round of 16 in 2003 and 2004 by extending her winning streak to 3 in a row against Jankovic.
Zvonareva achieved her best career ranking of No.5 on February 2nd 2009. The Russian has twice progressed through the quarter finals of a Grand Slam – by making the semi finals of the 2009 Australian Open and the quarter finals at the 2003 Roland Garros event. Zvonareva is 1 of only 2 Russians remaining and she would love to outshine Sharapova this time.
The player’s name that is bolded is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. Any player who has a line drawn through their name is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the round of 16.
The 2010 Wimbledon round of 16 women’s singles draw is:
- (1) Serena Williams versus (16) Maria Sharapova
- (9) Li Na v. (7) Agnieszka Radwanska
- (3) Caroline Wozniacki v. Petra Kvitova (14) Azarenka
- (10) Pennetta Klara Zakopalova v. (Q) Kaia Kanepi (6) Stosur
- (8) Kim Clijsters v. (17) Justine Henin (12) Petrova
- (15) Wickmayer (21) Vera Zvonareva v. (4) Jelena Jankovic
- (5) Schiavone Tsvetana Pironkova v. (11) Marion Bartoli
- (13) Peer Jarmila Groth v. (2) Venus Williams
Round of 16 matches completed on Day 7 – Monday 28 June:
- (9) Li d. (7) A.Radwanska 6-3 6-2
- (21) Zvonareva d. (4) Jankovic 6-1 3-0 retired
- (2) V.Williams d. Groth 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
- Pironkova d. (11) Bartoli 6-4 6-4
- (8) Clijsters d. (17) Henin 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Kvitova d. (3) Wozniacki 6-2 6-0
- (Q) Kanepi d. Zakopalova 6-2 6-4
- (1) S.Williams d. (16) Sharapova 7-6 (11-9), 6-4
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about the 2010 Wimbledon singles events. Click this link for more details including both of the Schedules of Play -> Wimbledon 2010: June 14-July 4.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010