The 2010 Wimbledon Ladies qualifying singles event began on Tuesday 15 June with 96 players battling for the 12 spots allocated to qualifiers in the main draw of the singles event. Today’s matches will begin at 11am local time in London.
Today only 48 players remain after the 1st round of qualifying was completed yesterday, which means there will be 24 Ladies singles matches to be played today for the 2nd round of qualifying. Once today’s matches have been completed only 24 players will remain. Tomorrow those 24 players will play in “The Qualifying Round”.
The qualifying matches are best of 3 sets with the final set being an advantage set i.e. you must win by at least 2 games as opposed to a tie break at 6 games all. All of the main draw singles matches will follow the same format. To qualify you must win 3 matches in a row.
Of the 24 seeds in the qualifying 8 of them were defeated in the 1st round, leaving 16 seeds still in contention to advance to “The Qualifying Round”. The Qualifying Round is the round that decides which players qualify for the main draw, because the winner of that round qualifies.
5 of the 6 British wild cards were unable to carry red, white and blue flag into the 2nd round of the Ladies qualifying singles event. World No.410 Lisa Whybourn performed well with a straight sets win over an opponent ranked 200 places above her and direct acceptance Naomi Cavaday had a good 3 set win to join Lisa in the 2nd round. In the draw below (WC) stands for wild card and a line through a players name means that player was seeded to win through to the next round but was defeated.
Pictured above is Dinara Safina completing this double backhand drive. The 24 year old Russian made the 2009 Wimbledon semi finals in her best result at Wimbledon to date. The 1.82 Safina has made the semi finals or better at all 4 Grand Slam singles events and was ranked as the World No.1 at Wimbledon last year.
After this years clay court season Safina has dropped to No.21. Safina lost in the 1st round at the 2010 Roland Garros event, if she suffers another early loss at Wimbledon she will drop to No.60!
The draw for the 2nd round of the 2010 Wimbledon Ladies qualifying singles event is:
- (1) Kaia Kanepi versus Elena Bovina
- Ekaterina Dzehalevich versus Ajla Tomljanovic (24) Kucova
- (2) Larsson Sesil Karatantcheva versus Nuria Llagostera Vives
- Xinyun Han versus (15) Vesna Manasieva
- (3) Ksenia Pervak versus Romina Oprandi
- Ekaterina Ivanova versus Shannon Golds (23) Cohen-Aloro
- (4) Bethanie Mattek-Sands versus Nina Bratchikova
- Julie Ditty versus (21) Jelena Dokic
- (5) Zhang Shuai versus Severine Beltrame
- (WC) Marina Erakovic versus (17) Shenay Perry
- (6) Simona Halep versus Anastasiya Yakimova
- Misaki Doi versus Corinna Dentoni (18) Osterloh
- (7) Evgeniya Rodina versus Beatriz Garcia Vidagany
- Madison Brengle versus (20) Greta Arn
- (8) Mayr Eva Birnerova versus Mirjana Lucic
- Zuzana Ondraskova versus (13) Michaella Krajicek
- (9) Ferguson Kurumi Nara versus (WC) Tamira Paszek
- Nikola Hofmanova versus (14) Stephanie Dubois
- (10) Ekaterina Bychkova versus Junri Namigata
- Monica Niculescu versus Vitalia Diatchenko (19) Woerle
- (11) Camerin Anna Floris versus (WC) Lisa Whybourn
- Naomi Cavaday versus (22) Andrea Hlavackova
- (12) Masa Zec Peskiric versus Eleni Danilidou
- Maria Irigoyen versus (16) Anastasia Pivovarova
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about the 2010 Wimbledon singles events. Click this link for more details including both of the Schedules of Play -> Wimbledon 2010: June 14-July 4.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010