The 2011 Wimbledon men’s main draw singles matches will begin on Monday 20 June at 12 noon local time in London, Great Britain. The full singles draw including who the 16 qualifiers play is NOW listed below. There are 128 main draw spots divided up between 16 Qualifiers (Q), 8 Wild Cards (WC) and 104 Direct Acceptances.
The 104 direct acceptances are decided according to who the Top 104 ranked players in the world that are fit and able to compete at Wimbledon this year on 9 May 2011. If any direct acceptances withdraw after the first round of qualifying is completed then those spots are awarded to lucky losers. In addition, all 8 wild cards may not be awarded in which case an additional lucky loser will be added to the draw.
Please click this link-> Wimbledon 2011 Men’s Schedule of Play to see the FULL details about: prize money and ATP ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event.
Pictured above is 2011 Roland Garros runner-up Roger Federer after setting the ball in place and as he is propelling himself to make contact with the ball during his famous service action. This year the 29-year-old Federer will be aiming to equal the Open-era record of 7 Wimbledon singles titles won by the great Pete Sampras.
The 1.85m Federer from Switzerland won Wimbledon for five years in a row from 2003 to 2007 and he won again in 2009. In 2008 Rafael Nadal upset Federer in the epic final by 9 games to 7 in the fifth and final set. The former World No.1 first achieved the No.1 spot on February 2 in 2004 and is hellbent on regaining it. Can Federer regain the No.1 ranking?
At Wimbledon the seedings follow a special formula used to favour grass court results despite being based on the ATP computer rankings. The seeded players do not receive a BYE in the 1st round of a Grand Slam event. To win the title a player must win 7 best-of-5 set matches in a row.
Being seeded means that you the earliest round in the event that you can meet another seeded player is 3rd round in which only 32 players remain. In a 128-player sized draw there are 32 seeded players. This means that all of the 32 seeds are separated in the draw so that play 2 rounds against lower ranked opponents who are unseeded, before they can meet another seed in the 3rd round.
The Wild Cards:
As the wild cards are awarded at the discretion of the All England Lawn Tennis Club Committee they will be listed here straight away-> Three British players James WARD, Daniel EVANS and Daniel COX were awarded a wild card and the committee decided to award only 7 of the possible 8 wild cards, in effect, denying one more British player a spot in the main draw. Of the four Grand Slams Wimbledon awards the lowest percentage of wild cards to local players. Four non-British players were awarded wild cards: Arnaud CLEMENT of France, Alejandro FALLA of Columbia, Dudi SELA of Israel and Gilles MULLER of Luxembourg.
The 128-player qualifying tournament begins on Monday 13 June and runs through to Thursday 16 June. The qualifying event at Wimbledon is unlike any other Grand Slam because it is NOT held at the same venue. The qualifying is held at the Bank of England Sports Ground in Roehampton.
As soon as each player qualifies for the main draw OCA will add their names right here-> Igor SIJSLING, Lukasz KUBOT, Bernard TOMIC, Marinko MATOSEVIC, Andreas BECK, Karol BECK, Rik DE VOEST, Martin FISCHER, Flavio CIPOLLA, Frank DANCEVIC, Conor NILAND, Edouard ROGER-VASSELIN, Kenny DE SCHEPPER, Cedrik-Marcel STEBE, Ruben BEMELMANS and Lukas LACKO.
Wimbledon was first held in 1877 and is the only Grand Slam that is still played on grass. In the past up to 3 of the 4 Grand Slams were played on grass.
OCA will be adding the names into the 3rd round match ups for seeds and the full singles draw as it occurs on Friday 17 June right below this. The men’s draw will follow the women’s draw. OCA will add the names of the 16 qualifiers into the full draw below once they are known.
The draw for the seeded players IF they all win through to the 3rd round is:
- Rafael NADAL (1) versus (31) Milos RAONIC
- Juan Martin DEL POTRO (24) v (15) Gilles SIMON
- Mardy FISH (10) v (21) Fernando VERDASCO
- Juan Ignacio CHELA (25) v (6) Tomas BERDYCH
- Andy MURRAY (4) v (27) Marin CILIC
- Richard GASQUET (17) v (14) Stanislas WAWRINKA
- Gael MONFILS (9) v (23) Janko TIPSAREVIC
- Thomaz BELLUCCI (30) v (8) Andy RODDICK
Which are the match ups for the top half of the draw. In the bottom half of the draw, the players who are seeded to meet are:
- David FERRER (7) v (26) Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ
- Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV (22) v (12) Jo-Wilfried TSONGA
- Nicolas ALMAGRO (16) v (18) Mikhail YOUZHNY
- Juan Ignacio CHELA (28) v (3) Roger FEDERER
- Robin SODERLING (5) v (29) Nikolay DAVYDENKO
- Florian MAYER (20) v (11) Jurgen MELZER
- Viktor TROICKI (13) v (19) Michael LLODRA
- Marcos BAGHDATIS (32) v (2) Novak DJOKOVIC
The 2011 Wimbledon men’s singles draw for the 1st round is:
- Rafael NADAL (1) v Michael RUSSELL
- Pablo ANDUJAR v Ryan SWEETING
- Gilles MULLER (WC) v Tommy HAAS
Fabio FOGNINIMarc GICQUEL (LL) v (31) Milos RAONIC
- Juan Martin DEL POTRO (24) v (Q) Flavio CIPOLLA
- Olivier ROCHUS v (Q) Kenny DE SCHEPPER
- Frederico GIL v (WC) Dudi SELA
- Edouard ROGER-VASSELIN (Q) v (15) Gilles SIMON
- Mardy FISH (10) v Marcel GRANOLLERS
- Philipp KOHLSCHREIBER v Denis ISTOMEN
- Robin HAASE v Pere RIBA
- Radek STEPANEK v (21) Fernando VERDASCO
- Juan Ignacio CHELA (25) v (Q) Marinko MATOSEVIC
- Donald YOUNG v Alex BOGOMOLOV Jnr.
- Ruben BEMELMANS (Q) v Julien BENNETEAU
- Filippo VOLANDRI v (6) Tomas BERDYCH
- Andy MURRAY (4) v Daniel GIMENO-TRAVER
- Tobias KAMKE v Blaz KAVCIC
- Sergiy STAKHOVSKY v (WC) Daniel COX
- Ivan LJUBICIC v (27) Marin CILIC
- Richard GASQUET (17) v Santiago GIRALDO
- Igor KUNITSYN v (Q) Igor SIJSLING
- Martin FISCHER (Q) v (LL) Simone BOLELLI
- Potito STARACE v (14) Stanislas WAWRINKA
- Gael MONFILS (9) v Matthias BACHINGER
- Grega ZEMLJA (LL) v (Q) Lukas LACKO
- Arnaud CLEMENT (WC) v (Q) Lukasz KUBOT
- Ivo KARLOVIC v (23) Janko TIPSAREVIC
- Thomaz BELLUCCI (30) v Rainer SCHUETTLER
- Feliciano LOPEZ v Michael BERRER
- Jaroslav POSPISIL v Victor HANESCU
- Andreas BECK (Q) v (8) Andy RODDICK
The bottom half of the draw is:
- David FERRER (7) v Benoit PAIRE
- Ivan DODIG v (LL) Ryan HARRISON
- Carlos BERLOCQ v (Q) Karol BECK
- Andrey GOLUBEV v (26) Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ
- Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV (22) v Fernando GONZALEZ
- Rik DE VOEST (Q) v Ruben RAMIREZ HILDAGO
- Grigor DIMITROV v (Q) Cedrik-Marcel STEBE
- Go SOEDA (LL) v (12) Jo-Wilfried TSONGA
- Nicolas ALMAGRO (16) v Jarkko NIEMINEN
- John ISNER v Nicolas MAHUT
- Somdev DEVVARMAN v Denis GREMELMAYR
- Juan MONACO v (18) Mikhail YOUZHNY
- David NALBANDIAN (28) v Julian REISTER
- Florent SERRA v Andreas HAIDER-MAURER
- Adrian MANNARINO v (Q) Conor NILAND
- Mikhail KUKUSHKIN v (3) Roger FEDERER
- Robin SODERLING (5) v Philipp PETZSCHNER
- Kei NISHIKORI v Lleyton HEWITT
- Igor ANDREEV v Teymuraz GABASHVILI
- Bernard TOMIC (Q) v (29) Nikolay DAVYDENKO
- Florian MAYER (20) v (WC) Daniel EVANS
- Xavier MALISSE v Mischa ZVEREV
- Ernests GULBIS v Dmitry TURSUNOV
- Alejandro FALLA (WC) v (11) Jurgen MELZER
- Viktor TROICKI (13) v Maximo GONZALEZ
- LU Yen-Hsun v Tommy ROBREDO
- Ricardo MELLO v (Q) Frank DANCEVIC
- James WARD (WC) v (19) Michael LLODRA
- Marcos BAGHDATIS (32) v James BLAKE
- Andreas SEPPI v Albert MONTANES
- Kevin ANDERSON v Illya MARCHENKO
- Jeremy CHARDY v (2) Novak DJOKOVIC
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Wimbledon 2011: June 13-July 3.
photo credit: Squeaky Knees