A tremendous effort by 24-year-old Novak DJOKOVIC in his very first Wimbledon singles final in defeating former World No.1 and 10-time Grand Slam singles champion Rafael NADAL 6-4, 6-1, 1-6, 6-3 in 2 hours and 28 minutes.
The 1.88m Djokovic produced his peak performance in the Gentlemen’s Singles Final at Wimbledon with an aggressive style of play that proved too much for the 25-year old Nadal. Djokovic brought up Championship Point with a serve and volley point. Djokovic hit a wide serve to Nadal’s backhand, Nadal defensively pushed a slice backhand floater down the line and Djokovic placed a short angle backhand volley cross-court into the open space for a clean winner.
It was certainly the right-handed Serbian’s day as he proved once again that he possesses the qualities of a true champion in being able to bring out his best tennis and perform at a higher level than his opponent, under pressure and at the critical SWING stages in three of the four sets today.
During his on-court interview after winning the 125th edition of the Wimbledon Championships the new World No.1 said, “When you are playing the best player in the world, Rafa Nadal, who has won two of last three Wimbledon’s, I had to be on top of my game and I think I played my best grass-court match ever.”
Djokovic has now won two Grand Slam singles titles this year plus all four Masters 1000 tournaments by setting an amazing 2011 record of 48 wins to only 1 loss. Djokovic becomes the 25th man to earn the World No.1 ranking and will have a lead of 2,015 ATP ranking points when the new rankings are released.
Congratulations 2011 Wimbledon champion Novak DJOKOVIC! Here is the OCA champion tribute – Rhyme Time:
- Djokovic defeated Nadal for the 5th time in a rOW,
- Nole outplayed Rafa blow by blOW.
- Novak posts a 48-1 winning record in 2011,
- Now a Wimbledon champion so he’s in tennis HEAVEN.
- The 1.88m right-handed Serbian stAR,
- Made the better of break point opportunities by fAR.
- He saved three break points and converted 5 of his 6,
- Plus he won far more points at net successful with 19 from 26.
- Djokovic hit more winners than Nadal by 27 to twenty-ONE,
- The 3-time Grand Slam singles champion is a deserved world number ONE!
To follow this site in real time, click on-> Twitter@OnCourtAd and to join the friends of this site click-> Facebook OnCourt Advantage. Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on both the WTA and ATP Tours. For further details about Wimbledon click-> Wimbledon 2011: June 13-July 3.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2011
photo credit: mbevis