The 2012 Wimbledon tennis event is the third Grand Slam singles tournament and the 9th MAJOR tournament of the “BIG 14″ tournaments for the men’s professional tennis tour each year. Wimbledon is also commonly known as “The Championships” and is held in the London suburb of Wimbledon in the United Kingdom. In this post how the ATP ranking points, prize money are allocated and what the schedule of play is so YOU can follow, watch and/or attend this tournament.
The total financial commitment for the 2012 Wimbledon tournament is £16,100,000 pounds sterling (£) which is up by 10% on 2011 (£14,600,000). The total prize money for the Men’s Singles event is £5,770,000 as compared to £5,230,00 in 2011. The Gentlemen’s Singles Champion will be awarded £1,150,000, which is an increase of £50,000 on the 2011 figure.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. To watch the tennis in Singapore add 7 hours to the London local times listed below to work out the equivalent Singapore time for the daily 2012 Wimbledon Order of Play.
The men’s event begins on Monday 18 June with the qualifying singles draw and the Men’s Singles Final will be played on Sunday 8 July. The centre court is simply named Centre Court and underwent renovations to install a retractable roof in time the 2009 event and has a seating capacity of 15,000 spectators. The Wimbledon Championships were first held in 1877 and 2012 will be the 126th year that the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) is staging this tournament.
The 2011 Wimbledon Men’s singles champion Novak DJOKOVIC is pictured above at the 2011 Cincinnati Open Masters 1000 event preparing to strike another forehand ground stroke during the greatest year of his career. The 1.88m right-hander became the World No.1 for the first time by winning his first Wimbledon singles title by defeating defending champion Rafael Nadal 6-4, 6-1, 1-6, 6-3 in 2 hours and 28 minutes.
In 2011 the 24-year-old Djokovic turned the tables on 10-time Grand Slam singles champion Rafael Nadal and 16-time Grand Slam singles champion Roger Federer. The Serbian defeated Nadal in all 6 matches and he defeated Federer in four of their five matches in 2011.
The World No.1 won 10 ATP singles titles in 2011 and posted an amazing 64 wins tok3 losses match record. Djokovic won another 5 major singles tournaments in 2011 including the ATP Masters 1000 Indian Wells Open, Miami Open, Madrid Open, Rome Open and Canadian Open eclipsing the record of four of these titles in one year by any other player.
The ATP ranking points and prize money is awarded to the players like this:
- The winner earns 2,000 points + £1,150,000;
- The runner-up earns 1,200 points + £575,000;
- The two semi finalists earn 720 points + £287,500;
- The four quarter finalists earn 360 points + £145,000;
- The eight players who lose in the round of 16 earn 180 points + £75,000;
- The 16 players who lose in the 3rd round earn 90 points + £38,875;
- The 32 players who lose in the 2nd round earn 45 points + £23,125;
- The *players who lose in the 1st round earn 10 points + £14,500.
Please note that the tournament management can alter the schedule from day to day.
The schedule of play for the 2012 men’s singles event at Wimbledon is:
- Monday 18 June: Qualifying 1st round at 11am;
- Tuesday 19 June: Qualifying 2nd round at 11am;
- Wednesday 20 June: Qualifying 3rd round at 11am;
- Monday 25 June: Main Draw 1st round at 11:30am;
- Tuesday 26 June: Main Draw 1st round at 11:30am;
- Wednesday 27 June: 2nd round at 11:30am;
- Thursday 28 June: 2nd round at 11:30am;
- Friday 29 June: 3rd round at 11:30am;
- Saturday 30 June: 3rd round at 11:30am;
- Sunday 1 July: No play is scheduled at all;
- Monday 2 July: Round of 16 at 11:30am;
- Tuesday 3 July: No men’s matches today;
- Wednesday 4 July: Men’s Quarter Finals at 11:30am;
- Thursday 5 July: No men’s matches today;
- Friday 6 July: Men’s Semi Finals from 2pm;
- Saturday 7 July: No men’s matches today; and
- Sunday 8 July: Men’s Singles Final at 2pm.
*The points awarded to a 1st round loser vary according to how they were allocated a place in the 1st round.
For further details about the different rankings points allocations for different situations for 1st round losers and for players who gain entry into the main draw from the qualifying event you will be able to click here once the following post is completed-> Wimbledon 2012 Men’s Qualifying Singles Draw.
The matches each day are played in a day session starting at 11:30am on courts 2 to 19 for the first 8 days of play. Centre Court and Court No.1 commence everyday of the tournament at 1pm except for both the Ladies and Gentlemen’s Singles Finals, which begin at 2pm. There are no night sessions.
© photo credit: Beth Wilson