photo credit:Christian Mesiano
Last updated 12 August at 10:45pm in Toronto. See the latest results below…
The 2010 Canadian Open men’s main draw singles 2nd round matches are now complete. There are 2 qualifiers still alive in the draw and only 8 of the 16 seeds have survived. The Top 7 seeds and No.15 seed Gael Monfils will all be in action today as players compete for another major title on the ATP Tour and a spot in the 8-player ATP Tour Finals in London.
OCA will keep you updated with all of the round of 16 results as matches are completed, right here on this post. The matches numbered from No.1 to No.4 in the draw below are the matches from the top half of the draw, whilst matches No.5 to No.8 are the matches from the bottom half of the draw. All 8 matches are scheduled for today, after which the 8 quarter finalists will be decided. All of these matches will be played on just 2 courts, Centre Court, and the Grandstand Court.
Pictured above is 23 year old Frenchman Jeremy Chardy looking up at the ball during his service action. Things are looking up for the 1.88m Chardy who has equalled his best career result in an ATP Tour Masters 1000 tournament by winning through to the round of 16. Chardy also made the round of 16 at the Cincinnati Open in 2009.
Chardy’s best result in a Grand Slam singles tournament to date is making the round of 16 at Roland Garros in 2008. Chardy won the boys singles title at the Junior Wimbledon Championships in 2005 and was a runner-up at the 2005 Junior US Open. His best ITF Junior world ranking was No.3. Can he take out another Top 10 opponent in the next round?
The player’s name that is bolded is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. Any player whose name is italicised and has his first name removed is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the round of 16.
The 2010 Rogers Cup in Toronto round of 16 singles draw is:
- (1) Rafel Nadal versus (Q) Kevin Anderson (16) Querrey
- (11) Cilic Philipp Kohlschreiber v. (Q) Lu Yen-Hsun (8) Roddick
- (4) Andy Murray v. (15) Gael Monfils
- (10) Ferrer David Nalbandian v. (5) Robin Soderling
- (7) Tomas Berdych v. Alexandr Dolgopolov (12) Youzhny
- (14) Almagro Michael Llodra v. (3) Roger Federer
- (6) Nikolay Davydenko v. Jeremy Chardy (9) Verdasco
- (13) Melzer Victor Hanescu v. (2) Novak Djokovic
The order of play for Day 6 – Thursday 12 August is:
- 11am on Centre Court Nalbandian def. Soderling 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
- 11am on Grandstand Berdych def. Dolgopolov 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 6-4
- 1pm on Centre Court Federer def. Llodra 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
- 2nd on Grandstand Chardy def. Davydenko 6-3 6-2
- 3rd on Centre Court Murray def. Monfils 6-2, 0-6, 6-3
- 3rd on Grandstand Kohlschreiber v. Lu 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 6-0
- 5pm on Grandstand Hanescu lost to Djokovic 3-6 4-6
- 7:30pm on Centre Court Nadal def. Anderson 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about the Canadian Open. Click this link for more details about both the men’s and women’s singles events including the schedules of play -> Canada 2010: August 7-22.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010