The 2012 Canadian Open men’s tennis championships are the sixth ATP Tour Masters 1000 category tournament of 2012 and the ninth MAJOR tournament of the “BIG 14″ tournaments for the men’s professional tennis tour each year. In this post how the ATP ranking points, prize money are allocated and what the schedule of play is so YOU can follow, watch and/or attend this tournament.
The men’s event is being played at the Rexall Centre at York University in Toronto and begins with the 24-player qualifying singles draw on Saturday 4 August. The Men’s Singles Final will be played on Sunday 12 August. The total financial commitment for the 2012 tournament is US$3,218,700, with the total prize money for the men’s singles event being $2,648,700.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. To watch the tennis in Singapore you need to add 12 hours to the local time in Toronto to work out the equivalent Singapore time for the daily 2012 Canadian Open Order of Play.
Please note that the tournament management can alter the schedule from day to day.
The ATP ranking points and prize money for the men’s tournament is awarded to the players like this:
- The winner earns 1,000 points + $522,550;
- The runner-up earns 600 points + $256,220;
- The two semi finalists earn 360 + $128,960;
- The four quarter finalists earn 180 + $65,575;
- The 8 players who lose in the round of 16 earn 90 + $34,050;
- The 16 players who lose in the 2nd round earn 45 + $17,950;
- The *28 players who lose in the 1st round earn 10 points + $9,695;
- The 6 players who qualify earn 25 points for qualifying;
- The 6 players who lose in the final round of qualifying earn 16 points +$2,145;
- The 12 players who lose in the 1st round of qualifying receive $1,095 but DO NOT earn any ranking points.
The schedule of play for the entire 2012 Canadian Open men’s singles draw is:
- Saturday 4 August: Qualifying Draw 1st round from 10am;
- Sunday 5 August: Qualifying 2nd round or final round from 10am;
- Monday 6 August: Main Draw 1st round from 12 noon and 5:30pm;
- Tuesday 7 August: 1st round & 2nd round from 12 noon and 5:30pm;
- Wednesday 8 August: 2nd round from 12 noon and 5:30pm;
- Thursday 9 August: Round of 16 from 12 noon and 5:30pm;
- Friday 10 August: Quarter Finals from 12 noon and 5:30pm;
- Saturday 11 August: 1st Semi Final at 3pm & 2nd Semi Final at 8pm; and
- Sunday 12 August: Men’s Singles Finals at 2:30pm.
*The points awarded to a 1st round loser vary according to how they were allocated a place in the 1st round.
For further details about the different rankings points allocations for different situations for 1st round losers and for players who gain entry into the main draw from the qualifying event you will be able to click here once the following post is completed-> Canada 2012 Men’s Qualifying Singles Draw.
To get you started, did you know that if any of the 8 seeded players who lose their first match after being given a bye into the 2nd round are treated as a 1st round loser for ranking points allocation purposes i.e. they receive 10 points for losing their first match.
© photo credit: HEAD Tennis