The 2010 Cincinnati Open men’s main draw singles matches will begin on Monday 16 August at 11am local time in Cincinnati. There are 56 main draw spots divided up between 7 Qualifiers (Q), 4 Wild Cards (WC), 1 Protected Ranking (PR) and 44 Direct Acceptances. The 2010 Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in Cincinnati is the 7th of the 9 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments each year and the 9th major tournament in men’s tennis this year.
Only the Top 8 seeded players have a BYE in the 1st round, whilst seeds 9 to 16 must play in the 1st round. The Top 8 seeds await the 24 winners of the 1st round matches.
The 2010 Cincinnati men’s singles match-ups for the seeded players, if they all win through to the round of 16 is:
- (1) Rafael Nadal versus (14) Nicolas Almagro
- (11) Marin Cilic v. (7) Tomas Berdych
- (3) Roger Federer v. (16) Gael Monfils
- (10) David Ferrer v. (6) Nikolay Davydenko
Which are the match ups for the top half of the draw. In the bottom half of the draw, the players who are seeded to meet are:
(8) Fernando Verdasco v. (12) Mikhail Youzhny
- (13) Jurgen Melzer v. (4) Andy Murray
- (5) Robin Soderling v. (9) Andy Roddick
- (15) Ivan Ljubicic v. (2) Novak Djokovic
The player’s name that is bolded in the 1st round singles draw below is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match.
The 2010 Cincinnati men’s singles draw for the 1st round is:
- (1) Nadal v. BYE
- (Q) Taylor Dent v. Feliciano Lopez
- Michael Llodra v. Julien Benneteau
- Stanislas Wawrinka v. (14) Almagro
- (11) Cilic v. Marcos Baghdatis
- Thomaz Bellucci v. (Q) Benjamin Becker
- Paul-Henri Mathieu v. Victor Hanescu
- BYE v. (7) Berdych
- (3) Federer v. BYE
- (Q) Denis Istomin v. (WC) James Blake
- Horacio Zeballos v. Philipp Kohlschreiber
- (Q) Alejandro Falla v. (16) Monfils
- (10) Ferrer v. Alexandr Dolgopolov
- Sam Querrey v. Philipp Petzschner
- (WC) Robby Ginepri v. (Q) Somdev Devvarman
- BYE v. (6) Davydenko
- (8) Verdasco v. BYE
- Gilles Simon v. (WC) Mardy Fish
- Michael Berrer v. Tommy Robredo
- Richard Gasquet v. (12) Youzhny
- (13) Melzer v. (Q) Santiago Giraldo
- Ernests Gulbis v. (WC) Donald Young
- (Q) Florian Mayer v. Jeremy Chardy
- BYE v. (4) Murray
- (5) Soderling v. BYE
- Lleyton Hewitt v. Lu Yen-Hsun
- Juan Monaco v. Thiemo De Bakker
- Sergiy Stakhovsky v. (9) Roddick
- (15) Ljubicic v. (PR) David Nalbandian
- John Isner v. Lukasz Kubot
- Radek Stepanek v. Viktor Troicki
- BYE v. (2) Djokovic
In a strong show of support by the USTA all 4 wild cards into the main draw of the men’s singles event went to Americans including, World No.104 James Blake, No.118 Robby Ginepri, No.34 Mardy Fish and No.108 Donald Young. At the cut-off date Fish was not ranked as high as he is now and as you can see his current ranking is better than the last direct acceptance into the main draw, Lukasz Kubot of Poland at World No.53.
Pictured above is 23 year old Andy Murray on the run at the 2009 ATP Tour Finals in London. The 1.9m Murray from Scotland is making his run for the World No.1 ranking, more major titles, his first Grand Slam title and a spot in the 2010 ATP Tour Finals in front of his home crowd. Murray made the semi finals in Cincinnati last year before losing to eventual champion, Roger Federer.
Murray showed just the type of game style during his victory over current World No.1 Rafael Nadal in the semi finals of the Canadian Open today, that will allow him to achieve a number of personal best results. Murray plays Federer in the final of the Canadian Open at 1:30pm tomorrow in Toronto and will be trying to extend his lead against Federer to 7 wins and 5 losses.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Cincinnati including the schedule of play -> Cincinnati 2010: August 7-22.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010