photo credit:Christian Mesiano
Last updated 18 August at 11:20pm in Cincinnati. See the latest results below…
The 2010 Cincinnati Open men’s main draw singles event continues today – Wednesday 18 August from 11am local time in Cincinnati. There are 32 players in the 2nd round including the first match for the Top 8 seeds all playing for a spot in the round of 16, which is scheduled for Thursday.
The 2010 Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in Cincinnati is off to a blazing start with 6 Americans winning through and 5 of the 8 seeds from No.9 to 16 being upset in the 1st round. 3 qualifiers won through to the 2nd round, one player with a protected ranking and 2 wild cards also won through to the 2nd round and have a great opportunity to achieve a spot in the round of 16 of a major tournament when they next come out to perform.
Pictured above is 28 year old Frenchman Julien Benneteau in position and swinging his racquet to the contact point with the ball for this double handed backhand drive. The 1.85m Benneteau qualified for Cincinnati last year and won through to the quarter finals before losing to Andy Murray in the 3rd and final set. That quarter final effort is the best performance by Benneteau in an ATP Masters 1000 tournament in his career.
Benneteau is playing his best tennis later in his career than most. He is currently ranked at his career high at World No.32, which means he may just sneak a place in the US Open draw this year as a seeded player provided he performs well again this year at Cincinnati.
Benneteau made the round of 16 at Wimbledon this year, which is his career best result at Wimbledon. Being seeded at the 2010 US Open would give him a better chance of equalling or achieving another career best. Last year was the first time Benneteau won a match at the US Open and he ended up making the 3rd round. There is a lot at stake in Cincinnati so expect him to throw himself into every point.
The player’s name that is bolded in the 2nd round singles draw below is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match.
The 2010 Cincinnati men’s singles draw for the 2nd round is:
- (1) Rafael Nadal versus (Q) Taylor Dent
- Julien Benneteau v. Stanislas Wawrinka (14) Almagro
- (11) Cilic Marcos Baghdatis v. Thomaz Bellucci
- Paul-Henri Mathieu v. (7) Tomas Berdych
- (3) Roger Federer v. (Q) Denis Istomin
- Philipp Kohlschreiber v. (Q) Alejandro Falla (16) Monfils
- (10) David Ferrer v. Sam Querrey
- (WC) Robby Ginepri v. (6) Nikolay Davydenko
- (8) Fernando Verdasco v. (WC) Mardy Fish
- Michael Berrer v. Richard Gasquet (12) Youzhny
- (13) Jurgen Melzer v. Ernests Gulbis
- Jeremy Chardy v. (4) Andy Murray
- (5) Robin Soderling v. Lleyton Hewitt
- Thiemo De Bakker v. (9) Andy Roddick
- (15) Ljubicic (PR) David Nalbandian v. John Isner
- Viktor Troicki v. (2) Novak Djokovic
2nd round matches completed on Day 4 – Tuesday 17 August:
- (7) Tomas Berdych defeated Paul-Henri Mathieu 6-4 6-4
- Marcos Baghdatis def. Thomaz Bellucci 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4)
2nd round matches to be completed on Day 5 – Wednesday 18 August:
- (1) Rafael Nadal def. (Q) Taylor Dent 6-2 7-5
- Julien Benneteau def. Stanislas Wawrinka 6-4 6-2
- (3) Roger Federer def. (Q) Denis Istomin 5-2 retired
- Philipp Kohlschreiber def. (Q) Alejandro Falla 6-0, 1-6, 6-3
- (10) David Ferrer def. Sam Querrey 7-5 6-2
- (WC) Robby Ginepri lost to (6) Nikolay Davydenko 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 2-6
- (8) Fernando Verdasco lost to (WC) Mardy Fish 6-7 (1-7), 6-7 (4-7)
- Michael Berrer lost to Richard Gasquet 4-6 2-6
- (13) Jurgen Melzer lost to Ernests Gulbis 7-6 (10-8), 3-6, 6-7 (5-7)
- Jeremy Chardy lost to (4) Andy Murray 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 2-6
- (5) Robin Soderling def. Lleyton Hewitt 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
- Thiemo De Bakker lost to (9) Andy Roddick 6-7 (4-7), 4-6
- (PR) David Nalbandian def. John Isner 4-5 retired
- Viktor Troicki lost to (2) Novak Djokovic 3-6 5-7
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Cincinnati including the schedule of play -> Cincinnati 2010: August 7-22.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010