photo credit:angela n.
Last updated 19 August at 11:45pm in Cincinnati. See the latest results below…
The 2010 Cincinnati Open men’s main draw singles 2nd round matches are now complete. There are 9 seeds still alive in the draw including the Top 7 seeds. The seeds are joined by 1 wild card (WC), 1 player with a protected ranking (PR) and 5 direct acceptances.
OCA will keep you updated with all of the round of 16 results as matches are completed, right here on this post. The matches numbered from No.1 to No.4 in the draw below are the matches from the top half of the draw, whilst matches No.5 to No.8 are the matches from the bottom half of the draw. All 8 matches are scheduled for today, after which the 8 quarter finalists will be decided. All of these matches will be played on just 2 courts, the Stadium Court and the Grandstand Court.
Of the remaining 16 players there are 2 Americans, No.9 seed Andy Roddick and (WC) Mardy Fish hoping to claim a major title on their home soil. Fish’s best result to date in Cincinnati is being the runner-up in 2003 when he lost the final in a final set tie-break against Roddick. There are 3 players left who have won Cincinnati in the past. Murray is going for his 2nd Cincinnati title, Roddick is going for his 3rd and Federer is going for his 4th.
Pictured above is 28 year old Argentinean David Nalbandian after making contact with the ball for this forehand drive. The 1.8m Nalbandian has missed a lot of tennis over the past year after having hip surgery, but is working his way back into what he hopes will be career best form. Nalbandian has won 2 Masters 1000 titles, the ATP Tour Finals, made the semi finals or better of all 4 Grand Slam tournaments and peaked at No.3 in the rankings.
Nalbandian has a Protected Ranking (PR), which a player can be granted when he is injured and does not play any tournaments for at least 6 months. Nalbandian was off the tour for 8 months. The PR can be used for just 8 tournaments provided they are in a 9 month period from your first tournament back. If you gain entry into a tournament through a wild card or via a direct acceptance then it DOES NOT count as one of the 8 tournaments that you can use your PR for.
The player’s name that is bolded in the round of 16 singles draw below is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. Any player whose name is italicised and has his first name removed is a seeded player who was expected to win through to the round of 16.
The 2010 Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in Cincinnati round of 16 draw is:
- (1) Rafael Nadal versus Julien Benneteau (14) Almagro
- (11) Cilic Marcos Baghdatis v. (7) Tomas Berdych
- (3) Roger Federer v. Philipp Kohlschreiber (16) Monfils
- (10) David Ferrer v. (6) Nikolay Davydenko
- (8) Verdasco (WC) Mardy Fish v. Richard Gasquet (12) Youzhny
- (13) Melzer Ernests Gulbis v. (4) Andy Murray
- (5) Robin Soderling v. (9) Andy Roddick
- (15) Ljubicic (PR) David Nalbandian v. (2) Novak Djokovic
The order of play for Day 6 – Thursday 19 August is:
- 12 noon on the Stadium Court Gulbis lost to Murray 6-4, 3-6, 6-7 (4-7)
- 12 noon on the Grandstand Court Fish defeated Gasquet 7-5 6-2
- 2nd match on Stadium is Nadal def. Benneteau 5-7, 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
- 2nd match on Grandstand is Nalbandian lost to Djokovic 1-6, 6-7 (7-9)
- 3rd on Stadium is Federer def. Kohlschreiber walkover
- 3rd on Grandstand Baghdatis def. Berdych 7-5 6-4
- 7pm on Stadium Soderling lost to Roddick 4-6, 7-6 (9-7), 6-7 (5-7)
- 7pm on Grandstand Ferrer lost to Davydenko 6-4, 3-6, 5-7
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Cincinnati including the schedule of play -> Cincinnati 2010: August 7-22.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010