The 2012 Cincinnati Open men’s tennis championships are the seventh ATP Tour Masters 1000 category tournament of 2012 and the ninth MAJOR tournament of the “BIG 14″ tournaments for the men’s professional tennis tour each year. In this post how the ATP ranking points, prize money are allocated and what the schedule of play is so YOU can follow, watch and/or attend this tournament.
The men’s event is being played at the Linder Family Tennis Centre in Cincinnati, Ohio in the USA and begins with the 28-player qualifying singles draw on Saturday 11 August. The Men’s Singles Final will be played on Sunday 19 August. The total financial commitment for the 2012 tournament is US$3,433,280, with the total prize money for the men’s singles event being $2,825,280.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. To watch the tennis in Singapore you need to add 12 hours to the local time in Cincinnati to work out the equivalent Singapore time for the daily 2012 Cincinnati Open Order of Play.
Please note that the tournament management can alter the schedule from day to day.
The ATP ranking points and prize money for the men’s tournament is awarded to the players like this:
- The winner earns 1,000 points + $535,600;
- The runner-up earns 600 points + $262,610;
- The two semi finalists earn 360 + $132,165;
- The four quarter finalists earn 180 + $67,205;
- The 8 players who lose in the round of 16 earn 90 + $34,900;
- The 16 players who lose in the 2nd round earn 45 + $18,400;
- The *28 players who lose in the 1st round earn 10 points + $9,935;
- The 7 players who qualify earn 25 points for qualifying;
- The 7 players who lose in the final round of qualifying earn 16 points +$2,290;
- The 14 players who lose in the 1st round of qualifying receive $1,165 but DO NOT earn any ranking points.
The schedule of play for the entire 2012 Cincinnati Open men’s singles draw is:
- Saturday 11 August: Qualifying Draw 1st round from 10am;
- Sunday 12 August: Qualifying 2nd round plus Main Draw 1st round from 10am and 7pm;
- Monday 13 August: 1st round from 11am and 7pm;
- Tuesday 14 August: 2nd round from 11am and 7pm;
- Wednesday 15 August: 2nd round from 11am and 7pm;
- Thursday 16 August: Round of 16 from 11am and 7pm;
- Friday 17 August: Quarter Finals from 11am and 7pm;
- Saturday 18 August: Semi Finals back-to-back from 1pm; and
- Sunday 19 August: Men’s Singles Finals at 12:30pm.
*The points awarded to a 1st round loser vary according to how they were allocated a place in the 1st round.
For further details about the different rankings points allocations for different situations for 1st round losers and for players who gain entry into the main draw from the qualifying event you will be able to click here once the following post is completed-> Cincinnati 2012 Men’s Qualifying Singles Draw.
To get you started, did you know that if any of the 8 seeded players who lose their first match after being given a bye into the 2nd round are treated as a 1st round loser for ranking points allocation purposes i.e. they receive 10 points for losing their first match.
Photo credit: mbevis