The 2010 Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open men’s 1st round main draw singles matches are complete and two of the 2nd round matches have already been played. Today the remaining 14 matches will be played to determine who makes it through to the round of 16.
In those two 2nd round matches played yesterday the in-form Fernando Verdasco defeated Ivo Karlovic 7-6 (7-5), 6-3 whilst Roger Federer made a solid start to his campaign to defend his Madrid title by defeating Benjamin Becker 6-2, 7-6 (7-4).
To update the men’s singles draw for you, there were 3 late withdrawals before the 1st round matches went on. No.5 seed Andy Roddick, No.11 seed Tomas Berdych and (WC) David Nalbandian were replaced in the draw by 3 Lucky Losers. Mardy Fish was awarded his lucky loser spot because he was the highest ranked player to lose in the final round of qualifying and then the next highest was Oscar Hernandez.
Michael Russell was awarded a lucky loser spot because he was the next highest ranked player to sign in for a lucky loser spot. Players like Ivan Navarro did not sign in for qualifying, so even though Russell was NOT the next highest ranked player who lost in the final round of qualifying, he got the spot.
Pictured above is the 23 year old Gael Monfils of France playing a single handed slice backhand. The 1.93m Monfils made the quarter finals in Madrid in 2008 before this tournament became an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event and did not play in Madrid last year. Monfils made the quarter finals at the 2009 French Open and the semi finals in 2008 before losing to Federer on both occasions.
Monfils has been out injured for the past 2 months and will looking to perform better than his countryman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, in Madrid and in Paris for the French Open. Tsonga and Monfils will play in the round 0f 16 in Madrid, if they both win today.
For further details about when each round of the men’s singles event is scheduled to be played, including the semi finals and finals, you can visit -> Madrid Men’s Schedule of Play.
The 1st round results completed yesterday were:
- (15) Wawrinka d. (WC) Granollers 6-4 6-4
- (10) Youzhny d. Lacko 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
- Gulbis d. Montanes 7-5 6-1
- (Q) Chela d. Cuevas 2-0 retired
- Hanescu d. Andreev 3-6 6-5 retired
- (Q) Munoz-De La Nava d. (14) Querrey 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 7-5
- Baghdatis d. Chiudinelli 6-3 6-4
- Schwank d. Mathieu 6-3 6-3
- (LL) Fish d. (LL) Russell 6-2, 7-6 (7-1)
- (16) Bellucci d. (WC) Riba 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
- Garcia-Lopez d. Gimeno-Traver 6-3 6-4
- Petzschner d. Fognini 6-1, 4-6, 7-5
- (13) Isner d. (Q) C.Rochus 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
The men’s 2nd round singles draw is:
- (1) Roger Federer d. Benjamin Becker
- Leonardo Mayer v. (15) Stanislas Wawrinka
- (10) Mikhail Youzhny v. Ernests Gulbis
- (5) Roddick (LL) Oscar Hernandez v. Feliciano Lopez
- (3) Andy Murray v. (Q) Juan Ignacio Chela
- Victor Hanescu v. (WC) Daniel Munoz-De La Nava (14) Querrey
- (9) David Ferrer v. Marcos Baghdatis
- (8) Marin Cilic v. Eduardo Schwank
Which are the match ups for the top half of the draw. In the bottom half of the draw, the players to meet are:
(6) Fernando Verdasco d. Ivo Karlovic
- Jurgen Melzer v. (11) Berdych (LL) Mardy Fish
- (16) Thomaz Bellucci v. Juan Monaco
- (4) Robin Soderling v. Nicolas Almagro
- (5) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga v. Guillermo Garcia-Lopez
- Philipp Petzschner v. (12) Gael Monfils
- (13) John Isner v. (Q) Santiago Giraldo
- (2) Rafael Nadal v. (Q) Oleksandr Dolgopolov Jnr
The players name that is bolded is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. The players names who have a line drawn through them, are the seeded players who were expected to reach the round of 16, but have been eliminated from that spot in the draw.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about Madrid for both the men’s and women’s events. Click this link for more details -> Madrid 2010: May 7 – 16.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010