The 2010 Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open men’s 1st round main draw singles will be completed today and 2 of the 2nd round matches will be played. In the past two days 11 of the 24 1st round matches have been played. The 2nd round matches that will be played today are both scheduled for Court Manolo Santana. At 4pm local time, Roger Federer plays Benjamin Becker and at 8pm local time, Fernando Verdasco plays Ivo Karlovic.
Pictured above is the 28 year old World No.1 playing his famous forehand ground stroke. Last year the 1.85m Swiss won a hat trick of tournaments at precisely this time of the year. The 16 time Masters 1000 title winner won the 2009 Madrid singles title for the 2nd time after winning in 2006, followed by his 1st French Open title and capped it off with another Wimbledon Championship.
Federer is under pressure to perform after only winning has 5 matches in total in his last 4 tournaments. The 16 time Grand Slam singles champion will looking to reignite his spark just like he did in 2009 beginning in Madrid. In the 2009 Final he defeated Rafael Nadal on clay in straight sets.
Federer has an enormous 5,000 ranking points to defend in his next 3 tournaments. In his last 4 tournaments he has only won 235 ranking points. His last 4 losses were in Estoril, Portugal to Albert Montanes, in Rome to Ernests Gulbis, in Miami to Tomas Berdych and at Indian Wells to Marcos Baghdatis. How do you think Federer will go in his next 3 tournaments?
For further details about when each round of the men’s singles event is scheduled to be played, including the semi finals and finals, you can visit -> Madrid Men’s Schedule of Play.
The 1st round results thus far are as follows:
- (9) Ferrer d. Chardy 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
- Karlovic d. Korolev 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
- Monaco d. Greul 6-1 6-1
- Becker d. (WC) Moya 6-0 6-2
- L.Mayer d. Benneteau 6-7 (9-11), 7-5, 6-4
- Lopez d. Kubot 6-3 6-3
- Melzer d. (Q) Anderson 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
- Almagro d. Troicki 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
- (12) Monfils d. Robert 6-2 7-5
- (Q) Giraldo d. Kohlschreiber 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
- (Q) Dolgopolov Jnr d. Seppi 6-3 6-4
The men’s updated singles draw is:
- (1) Roger Federer v. Benjamin Becker
- Leonardo Mayer v. (WC) Marcel Granollers OR (15) Stanislas Wawrinka
- (10) Mikhail Youzhny OR Lukas Lacko v. Ernests Gulbis OR Albert Montanes
- (5) Andy Roddick v. Feliciano Lopez
- (3) Andy Murray v. Pablo Cuevas OR (Q) Juan Ignacio Chela
- Victor Hanescu OR Igor Andreev v. (WC) Daniel Munoz-De La Nava OR (14) Sam Querrey
- (9) David Ferrer v. Marcos Baghdatis OR Marco Chiudinelli
- (8) Marin Cilic v. Paul-Henri Mathieu OR Eduardo Schwank
Which are the match ups for the top half of the draw. In the bottom half of the draw, the players to meet are:
(6) Fernando Verdasco v. Ivo Karlovic
- Jurgen Melzer v. (WC) David Nalbandian OR (11) Tomas Berdych
- (16) Thomaz Bellucci OR (WC) Pere Riba v. Juan Monaco
- (4) Robin Soderling v. Nicolas Almagro
- (5) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga v. Guillermo Garcia-Lopez OR (Q) Daniel Gimeno-Traver
- Fabio Fognini OR Philipp Petzschner v. (12) Gael Monfils
- (13) John Isner OR (Q) Christophe Rochus v. (Q) Santiago Giraldo
- (2) Rafael Nadal v. (Q) Oleksandr Dolgopolov Jnr
The players name that is bolded is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about Madrid for both the men’s and women’s events. Click this link for more details -> Madrid 2010: May 7 – 16.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010