The 2010 Monte Carlo Open main draw singles matches began on Sunday 11 April local time in Monte-Carlo. The men’s qualifying singles event was completed on the same day. The men’s singles 1st round matches will be completed over 3 days, so by the end of the day’s play on Tuesday 13 April. Also, 4 of the Men’s 2nd round matches have been added to the schedule today.
The locals will be supporting the 4 remaining French players, (WC) Richard Gasquet, No.5 seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Julien Benneteau and Michael Llodra. Gasquet will be going for his 3rd consecutive win over the in-form Tomas Berdych. There is a fairly high probability that all 4 French players could be defeated in the 2nd round.
At Monte-Carlo the official tournament language is French therefore, all of the umpiring and announcements are conducted in French. The Monte-Carlo event in 2000 was the last time a French player – Cedric Pioline, won the singles tournament and in fact the only time in the Open-era that a Frenchman has prevailed. For Pioline it was 3rd time lucky as he was a runner-up in 1993 and 1998.
The contests that seem likely to be very closely fought out in the 2nd round and the matches you should try to see are Youzhny & Nalbandian, Berdych & Gasquet, Murray & Kohlschreiber and Tsonga & Almagro. The bolded names in the draw are OCA’s prediction of who will win the 2nd round matches.
Murray is pictured above at Monte-Carlo having landed after striking the ball during his service action. The 1.9m Scot has to perform against Kohlschreiber in the first meeting between these 2 players. Kohlschreiber can be a very difficult opponent and really enjoys the clay illustrated by his round of 16 finish at Roland Garros in 2009 where he defeated Novak Djokovic in 3 straight sets.
The 2nd round is the danger round for the Top 8 seeds because it is only their first match of the tournament whereas everyone else has already played their way into the tournament. Despite what the tournament information says about how many ATP ranking points the players who lose in the 2nd round are awarded, the Top 8 seeds will only be awarded 10 ranking points if they lose in the 2nd round. The players who have won through to the 2nd round and then lose are awarded 45 ranking points.
The Monte Carlo 2nd round draw is:
- (1) Novak Djokovic versus Florent Serra
- Ernests Gulbis v. the winner of (13) Stanislas Wawrinka/Victor Hanescu
- (12) Tommy Robredo/Horacio Zeballos v. the winner of Viktor Troicki/Lukasz Kubot
- (7) Mikhail Youzhny v. David Nalbandian
- (4) Marin Cilic v. Igor Andreev
- Andreas Seppi v. the winner of Albert Montanes/(16) Marcos Baghdatis
- (10) Tomas Berdych v. (WC) Richard Gasquet
- (6) Fernando Verdasco v. Julien Benneteau
…which are the 2nd round the match ups for the top half of the draw. In the bottom half of the draw, the players to meet in the 2nd round are:
(8) Ivan Ljubicic v. Michael Llodra
(Q) Andrey Golubev v. (11) David Ferrer
(15) Jurgen Melzer/Paul-Henri Mathieu v. Philipp Petzschner
(3) (WC) Andy Murray v. Philipp Kohlschreiber
- (5) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga v. Nicolas Almagro
- Benjamin Becker v. (9) Juan Carlos Ferrero
- (14) Juan Monaco v. Michael Berrer
- (2) Rafael Nadal v. (Q) Thiemo De Bakker
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about Monte-Carlo. Click this link for more details including the Schedule of Play -> Monte-Carlo 2010: April 10-18.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010