The 2010 BNP Paribas Masters men’s singles 1st round matches will be completed over three days. The Paris Open is now called the BNP Paribas Masters due to title sponsorship rights. The men’s main draw singles matches will begin at 11am local time in Paris (6pm in Hong Kong) on Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday will feature the first of the second round matches as well.
At OCA we want to make it easier for you to follow and enjoy your tennis. If you do NOT have the luxury of seeing this tennis tournament LIVE or at all in your country, then you can click this link below to watch the player you want to see OR just the match you want to see OR you can watch as many matches as you choose. If you want to watch any other tournament then click the “Watch Live Tennis Now” link on the upper right-hand side of this page. Enjoy!
The Paris Open is held at the Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy on hard courts called Greenset on Boards and is widely known as the most prestigious indoor tournament each year. This MAJOR tournament is especially important because it is THE final chance to qualify for the ATP Tour Finals in London. To date only 5 players have guaranteed their place in the Top 8 setting up a battle for the final 3 places during this tournament.
Pictured above is 2010 Australian Open Men’s Singles semi finalist Marin Cilic just after making contact with the ball for this forehand ground stroke. The 22 year old right-hander from Croatia had a great start to the year and seemed to be on a similar career course to fellow 1.98m and 22 year old Juan Martin del Potro.
The 1.98m Cilic achieved best singles ranking of No.9 on February 22 2010 and his best performance at the Paris Open was making the quarter finals last year before losing the third and deciding set 6-4 against eventual runner-up Gael Monfils. Cilic made the quarter finals of the Canadian Open in 2008 on hard courts as well. On the hard courts in Paris this week Cilic will be looking for a strong finish to the year after winning only 5 matches and losing 8 in the past 3 months.
We will keep you updated here at OCA with the results and scores of each match and the schedule of play throughout this tournament. All of the 16 seeded players have a BYE in the 1st round so will play the 16 winners of the 1st round matches. To get the best deal in Hong Kong on tennis racquets and tennis gear click here.
One Lucky Loser (LL) was added to the draw to replace Janko Tipsarevic who withdrew with a hip injury. The LL is No.9 seed from the qualifying tournament Michael Russell.
1st round matches scheduled for Sunday 7 November:
- Ernests Gulbis defeated Juan Ignacio Chela 7-5 2-2 retired
- Albert Montanes lost to (WC) Florent Serra 6-4, 1-6, 6-7 (3-7)
The schedule of play for Monday 8 November is:
- On Central Court at 11am: Xavier Malisse lost to (Q) Jarkko Nieminen 4-6 3-6
- Followed on Central Court by: (WC) Arnaud Clement def. Feliciano Lopez 6-7 (8-10), 7-6 (9-7), 6-3
- Followed 0n Central Court by: Potito Starace lost to Michael Llodra 4-6 1-6
- On Central Court at 7:30pm: (WC) Nicolas Mahut lost to Richard Gasquet 5-7, 6-4, 6-7 (7-9)
- Followed on Central Court at not before 8:30pm: Stanislas Wawrinka def. (Q) Josselin Ouanna 6-3 7-5
- On Court 1 at 11am: Denis Istomen lost to (Q) Benjamin Becker 4-6 4-6
- Followed on Court 1 by: Michael Berrer lost to (Q) Fabio Fognini 5-7, 6-3, 4-6
- Followed on Court 1 by: (LL) Michael Russell lost to Radek Stepanek 2-6 0-6
- Followed on Court 1 by: Thiemo de Bakker lost to (Q) Santiago Giraldo 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 5-7
1st round matches scheduled for Tuesday 9 November:
- On Central Court at 11am: 2nd Round: Ernests Gulbis def. (9) Mikhail Youzhny 6-4 3-0 retired
- Followed on Central Court by: (SE) Marcel Granollers lost to David Nalbandian 3-6 1-6
- Followed 0n Central Court by: (WC) Arnaud Clement lost to (6) Fernando Verdasco 6-3, 3-6, 0-6
- Followed 0n Central Court by: Andrey Golubev lost to Gilles Simon 6-3, 4-6, 3-6
- On Central Court at 7:30pm: 2nd Round: (12) Gael Monfils def.(Q) Benjamin Becker 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
- Followed on Central Court at not before 8:30pm: 2nd Round: (5) Tomas Berdych def. (WC) Florent Serra 6-3 6-1
- On Court 1 at 11am: Juan Monaco def. Sam Querrey 7-6 (9-7), 6-2
- Followed on Court 1 by: Sergiy Stakhovsky def. (Q) Illya Marchenko 6-2 6-2
- Followed on Court 1 by: Philipp Kohlschreiber lost to Thomaz Bellucci 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 3-6
- Followed on Court 1 by: 2nd Round: Radek Stepanek def. (14) Nicolas Almagro 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the Paris Open including the schedule of play -> Paris Open 2010:November 6-14.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010
photo credit: Bruno Girin