The 2010 BNP Paribas Masters men’s qualifying singles event began yesterday. The Paris Open is now called the BNP Paribas Masters due to title sponsorship rights. The men’s qualifying singles event concludes today with THE Qualifying Round beginning at 11am in Paris (6pm in Hong Kong). The schedule of play is posted below and so too are the results from Day 1.
At OCA we want to make it easier for you to follow and enjoy your tennis. If you do NOT have the luxury of seeing this tennis tournament LIVE or at all in your country, then you can click this link below. If you want to watch any other tournament then click the “Watch Live Tennis Now” link on the upper right-hand side of this page. You can just watch the player you want to see or you can watch as many matches as you want. Enjoy!
The Qualifying Round is the round that decides which players qualify for the main draw, because the winner of that round qualifies. At the Paris Open there are 6 spots in the main draw of the men’s singles event allocated for qualifiers. Six of the 12 seeded players were defeated in the 1st round of qualifying and 4 of the 8 Frenchmen still have a chance to qualify today.
The last direct acceptance Josselin Ouanna, direct acceptances Marc Gicquel and Edouard Roger-Vasselin, plus wild card recipient Clement Reix all won through to the Qualifying Round. The French will be delighted with the fact that at least one more French man will earn his place in the main draw because Ouanna and Reix are playing against each other today.
Pictured above is 2009 Paris Open Men’s Singles semi finalist Radek Stepanek just after he made contact with the ball for this backhand volley. The 31 year old from the Czech Republic turns 32 later this month and has performed better at the Paris Open than he has at any other Masters 1000 tournament.
The 1.85m Stepanek made the Final in 2004, the semi finals in 2005 and last year. For the rest of his career at all of the other Masters 1000 tournaments he had made one other final and 2 other semi finals. His best singles result in a Grand Slam event was making the quarter finals at Wimbledon in 2006. He is currently No.38 and achieved his career high ranking of No.8 on July 10 2006.
The player’s name that is bolded in the Qualifying Round draw below is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. Any player whose name is italicised and has his first name removed is a seeded player who was expected to win through to this round.
The draw for the 2010 Paris Open men’s qualifying singles event is:
- (1) Jarkko Nieminen versus Marc Gicquel (7) Kamke
- (2) Seppi Albert Ramos-Vinolas v. (8) Illya Marchenko
- (3) Benjamin Becker v. Edouard Roger-Vasselin (10) Zverev
- (4) Gimeno-Traver Josselin Ouanna v. (WC) Clement Reix (11) Ilhan
- (5) Fabio Fognini v. Stephane Bohli (12) Hajek
- (6) Santiago Giraldo v. (9) Michael Russell
The results from Saturday 6 November were:
- (1) Jarkko Nieminen defeated Teymuraz Gabashvili 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
- Marc Gicquel def. (7) Tobias Kamke 6-2 6-4
- (2) Andreas Seppi lost to Albert Ramos-Vinolas 3-6, 7-5, 4-6
- Benoit Paire lost to (8) Illya Marchenko 6-3, 5-7, 3-6
- (3) Benjamin Becker def. (WC) Laurent Rochette 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
- Edouard Roger-Vasselin def. (10) Mischa Zverev 4-0 retired
- (4) Daniel Gimeno-Traver lost to Josselin Ouanna 7-6 (7-5), 5-7, 4-6
- (WC) Clement Reix def. (11) Marsel Ilhan 6-4 6-4
- (5) Fabio Fognini def. Roberto Bautista-Agut 6-2 6-4
- Stephane Bohli def. (12) Jan Hajek 7-6 (7-1), 6-2
- (6) Santiago Giraldo def. (WC) Romain Jouan 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
- (WC) Vincent Millot lost to (9) Michael Russell 7-6 (7-3), 1-6, 4-6
The schedule of play for Sunday 7 November is:
- On Court 1 at 11am: (3) Benjamin Becker def. Edouard Roger-Vasselin 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
- Followed on Court 1 by: (1) Jarkko Nieminen def. Marc Gicquel 6-2 6-1
- Followed on Court 1 by: Albert Ramos-Vinolas lost to (8) Illya Marchenko 1-6 2-6
- On Court 2 at 11am: (5) Fabio Fognini def. Stephane Bohli 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
- Followed on Court 2 by: Josselin Ouanna def. (WC) Clement Reix 6-2 7-5
- Followed on Court 2 by: (6) Santiago Giraldo v. (9) Michael Russell 6-4 6-2
- On the Central Court at 2pm: 1st round match Albert Montanes lost to (WC) Florent Serra 6-4, 1-6, 6-7 (3-7)
- On the Central Court at 4:30pm: 1st round match Ernests Gulbis def. Juan Ignacio Chela 7-5 2-2 retired
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the Paris Open including the schedule of play -> Paris Open 2010:November 6-14.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010
photo credit: ataelw