The 2010 Rome Internazionali BNL d’Italia men’s singles qualifying rounds began on Saturday 24 April and were played over 2 days. The 1st round of the men’s main draw singles began on Sunday 25 April at 1pm local time in Rome, on a reduced schedule of just 3 matches.
The 1st of two full days of play in which only 1st round men’s singles will be played in Rome begins today at 1pm local time. The full 2010 Rome men’s Singles Draw is listed below, with the updates as mentioned in the previous post.
Now the qualifiers have been addded to the draw and there was one Lucky Loser (LL) who made it in to the main draw after one main draw acceptance, Florian Mayer, withdrew with an injury. The lucky loser was *Simon Greul who took the spot because he was the highest ranked player who lost in the final round of qualifying.
In the qualifying 10 of the 14 seeds made it to the Qualifying Round. All 6 of the Italians who were in the qualifying draw were defeated.
The final qualifying event results were as follows:
- (1) Juan Ignacio Chela defeated Oscar Hernandez
- (2) Michael Llodra d. Pere Riba
- Marcel Granollers d. Daniel Gimeno-Traver
- (10) Peter Luczak d. (4) *Simon Greul
- (5) Leonardo Mayer d. (11) Andrey Golubev
- (12) Santiago Giraldo d. (6) Jarkko Nieminen
- (14) Jan Hajek d. (7) Oleksandr Dolgopolov Jnr
The updated men’s 1st round singles draw is:
- (1) Roger Federer to play the winner of:
- Marcos Baghdatis v. Ernests Gulbis
- (WC) Filippo Volandri v. (Q) Peter Luczak
- Julien Benneteau v. (15) Sam Querrey
- (11) Ivan Ljubicic v. Paul-Henri Mathieu
- Nicolas Almagro v. Lukasz Kubot
- (8) Marin Cilic to play the winner of:
- Benjamin Becker v. Feliciano Lopez
- (3) Rafael Nadal to play the winner of:
- Pablo Cuevas v. Philipp Kohlschreiber
- Victor Hanescu v. Michael Berrer
- Igor Andreev v. (16) Juan Monaco
- (10) Tomas Berdych v. (Q) Marcel Granollers
- Jurgen Melzer v. Stanislas Wawrinka
- (5) Robin Soderling to play the winner of:
- (WC) Paolo Lorenzi v. Albert Montanes
…which are the 1st round the match ups for the top half of the draw. In the bottom half of the draw, the players to meet in the 1st round are:
(7) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga to play the winner of:
Victor Troicki v. (SE) Thiemo De Bakker
(Q) Michael Llodra v. Andreas Beck
(Q) Santiago Giraldo v. (12) Juan Carlos Ferrero
- (13) David Ferrer v. Evgeny Korolev
- (Q) Jan Hajek v. (WC) Potito Starace
- (4) Andy Murray to play the winner of:
- Andreas Seppi v. Fabio Fognini
- (6) Fernando Verdasco to play the winner of:
- (WC) Simone Bolelli v. (LL) Simon Greul
- Guillermo Garcia-Lopez v. (Q) Juan Ignacio Chela
- Lleyton Hewitt v. (9) Mikhail Youzhny
- (14) John Isner v. Horacio Zeballos
- Thomaz Bellucci v. (Q) Leonardo Mayer
- (2) Novak Djokovic to the play the winner of:
- Janko Tipsarevic v. Jeremy Chardy
The players name that is bolded is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match. The winners of the 3 1st round matches already played were: Hanescu, Seppi & Chardy. Their opponents names have a line drawn through them in the above draw to signify that those players have been eliminated.
Pictured above is No.1 seed Roger Federer moments after making contact with the ball with his backhand volley. This picture was taken at the 2009 French Open when Federer won the title for the 1st time. That was the last time he played a clay court tournament.
Federer has never won Rome. In 2003 Federer came very close when he lost to Felix Mantilla by 10 points to 8 in the final set tie break in the championship match. This year he will be keen to win this title by making it 3rd time lucky, he was also the runner-up in 2006.
Stay tuned to this tennis website for further information about Rome. Click this link for more details including the Schedule of Play -> Rome 2010: Apr 24 – May 8.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010