The 2011 Rome Open men’s 1st round singles matches begin on Sunday 8 May at 11am local time. There are 56 players in the draw divided up between 44 Direct Acceptances, 6 Qualifiers (Q), 4 Wild Cards (WC) and 2 Lucky Losers (LL). At the cut-off date Thiemo De Bakker of the Netherlands then ranked at No.52 was the last direct acceptance.
In this post the full men’s singles draw will be listed below plus a number of interesting facts about the main draw. The official tournament name of Rome is Internazionali BNL d’Italia and it is an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 category tournament played on outdoor red clay courts from May 7 to 15.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage.
The Seeds: In a 64-player sized draw there are 16 seeded players in order to keep the 1 seed for each 4 spots in the draw ratio according to tournament draw rules. Rome has a 56-player draw so only the Top 8 seeds receive a BYE in the 1st round.
The seeds from No.9 to No.16 play amongst the other 40 players in the 1st round. The Top 8 seeds await the 24 winners of the 1st round matches in the 2nd round. The seeding of players is according to the most recent rankings before the main singles draw is made, which was Monday 2 May.
In the full draw below only the Top 8 seeds names will be bolded to make it easier to spot which Top 8 seeds are drawn to play each other for a spot in the semi finals.
The draw for the seeded players IF they all win through to the round of 16 is:
- Rafael NADAL (1) versus (13) Mikhail YOUZHNY
- Mardy FISH (11) v (6) David FERRER
- Roger FEDERER (3) v (16) Richard GASQUET
- Gael MONFILS (10) v (7) Tomas BERDYCH
The seeded match ups for the bottom half of the draw are:
- Jurgen MELZER (8) v (12) Andy RODDICK
- Viktor TROICKI (15) v (4) Andy MURRAY
- Robin SODERLING (5) v (9) Nicolas ALMAGRO
- Stanislas WAWRINKA (14) v (2) Novak DJOKOVIC
The draw for the 2011 Rome Open Men’s singles event is:
- Rafael NADAL (1) v BYE
- Paolo LORENZI (Q) v Thomaz BELLUCCI
- Feliciano LOPEZ v Michael LLODRA
- Philipp KOHLSCHREIBER v (13) Mikhail YOUZHNY
- Mardy FISH (11) v Santiago GIRALDO
- Ivan LJUBICIC v (WC) Flavio CIPOLLA
- Marin CILIC v Ivo KARLOVIC
- BYE v (6) David FERRER
- Roger FEDERER (3) v BYE
- Marcos BAGHDATIS v Jo-Wilfried TSONGA
- Igor ANDREEV (Q) v (Q) Pere RIBA
- Albert MONTANES v (16) Richard GASQUET
- Gael MONFILS (10) v Kei NISHIKORI replaced by Adrian MANNARINO (LL) v (LL) Jarkko NIEMINEN
- Victor HANESCU (Q) v Sergiy STAKHOVSKY
- Juan MONACO v Andreas SEPPI
- BYE v (7) Tomas BERDYCH
The bottom half of the draw is:
- Jurgen MELZER (8) v BYE
- Florian MAYER v Andrey GOLUBEV
- Juan Ignacio CHELA v John ISNER
- Gilles SIMON v (12) Andy RODDICK
- Viktor TROICKI (15) v Nikolay DAVYDENKO
- Potito STARACE v Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV
- Xavier MALISSE v Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ
- BYE v (4) Andy MURRAY
- Robin SODERLING (5) v BYE
- Fernando VERDASCO v Milos RAONIC
- Kevin ANDERSON v Sam QUERREY
- Simone BOLELLI (WC) v (9) Nicolas ALMAGRO
- Stanislas WAWRINKA (14) v (WC) Fabio FOGNINI
- Filippo VOLANDRI (WC) v Thiemo DE BAKKER
- Pablo CUEVAS v Lukasz KUBOT
- BYE v (2) Novak DJOKOVIC
Stay tuned to this tennis website for coverage of every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on both the WTA and ATP Tours.
photo credit: Mark Howard Photography