The 2012 Italian Open in Rome men’s tennis championships are the fifth ATP Tour Masters 1000 category tournament of 2012 and the 6th MAJOR tournament of the “BIG 14″ tournaments for the men’s professional tennis tour each year. In this post how the ATP ranking points, prize money are allocated and what the schedule of play is so YOU can follow, watch and/or attend this tournament.
The men’s event schedule begins with the 28-player qualifying singles draw on Saturday 12 May. The Men’s Singles Final will be played on Sunday May 20. The total financial commitment for the 2012 tournament is 2,950,475 Euros (€), with the total prize money for the men’s singles event being € 2,427,975. Click this link for details about how you can buy Italian Open in Rome Official tennis tickets and you will also find full coverage of Rome.
Please leave a comment below this article regarding anything YOU would like to know about in tennis, have explained or suggest for me to write about here at OnCourt Advantage. To watch the tennis in Singapore you need to add 6 hours to the local time in Rome to work out the equivalent Singapore time for this daily 2012 Italian Open Order of Play.
Please note that the tournament management can alter the schedule from day to day.
The ATP ranking points and prize money for the men’s tournament is awarded to the players like this:
- The winner earns 1,000 points + € 460,260;
- The runner-up earns 600 points + € 225,680;
- The two semi finalists earn 360 + € 113,580;
- The four quarter finalists earn 180 + € 57,755,
- The 8 players who lose in the round of 16 earn 90 + € 30,000;
- The 16 players who lose in the 2nd round earn 45 + € 15,810;
- The *24 players who lose in the 1st round earn 10 points + € 8,535;
- The 7 players who qualify earn 25 points for qualifying;
- The 14 players who lose in the final round of qualifying earn 16 points + € 1,965;
- The 14 players who lose in the 1st round of qualifying receive € 1,000 but DO NOT earn any ranking points.
The schedule of play for the entire 2012 Italian Open men’s singles draw is:
- Saturday 12 May: Qualifying Draw 1st round from 10am;
- Sunday 13 May: Qualifying 2nd round & Main Draw 1st round from 10am;
- Monday 14 May: Main Draw 1st round from 11am;
- Tuesday 15 May: 1st round & 2nd round from 11am;
- Wednesday 16 May: 2nd round & round of 16 from 11am;
- Thursday 17 May: Round of 16 from 11am;
- Friday 18 May: Quarter Finals from 12pm;
- Saturday 19 May: 1st Semi Final at 4pm & 2nd Semi Final at 8pm; and
- Sunday 20 May: Men’s Singles Finals at 4pm.
*The points awarded to a 1st round loser vary according to how they were allocated a place in the 1st round.
For further details about the different rankings points allocations for different situations for 1st round losers and for players who gain entry into the main draw from the qualifying event you will be able to click here once the following post is completed-> Rome 2012 Men’s Qualifying Singles Draw.
To get you started, did you know that if any of the 8 seeded players who lose their first match after being given a bye into the 2nd round are treated as a 1st round loser for ranking points allocation purposes i.e. they receive 10 points for losing their first match.
OnCourt Advantage supplies all the details YOU need to make it easy to follow tennis, get your tennis tickets and watch men’s and women’s professional tennis on the WTA, ATP Tour and for each Grand Slam tournament all year round.
© photo credit: tennis buzz