The 2011 Shanghai Open men’s main draw singles matches begin on Sunday 9 October at 1pm local time in Shanghai, China (to watch the tennis in Singapore the times are the same as Shanghai). The full singles draw is listed below including who the qualifiers play against. There are 56 main draw spots divided up between 7 Qualifiers (Q), 4 Wild Cards (WC) and 45 Direct Acceptances.
The 45 direct acceptances are decided according to whom the Top 45 ranked players in the world that enter this year by 29 August 2011. This year the cut-off for the last direct acceptance was Somdev Devvarman of India who was ranked No.64 at the cut-off date. If any direct acceptances and/or wild card entrants withdraw after the first round of qualifying is completed then those spots are awarded to lucky losers.
Click this link-> Shanghai Open 2011 Men’s Schedule of Play to see the FULL details about: prize money and ATP ranking points earned per round plus more details about the qualifying event.
Pictured above is the winner of the 2011 China Open in Beijing Tomas BERDYCH runner-up poised to launch his most powerful weapon – his serve, at the 2011 US Open. The 26-year-old Berdych won his first singles titles in almost two and a half years after making his first singles final since his career best Grand Slam singles result: runner-up at Wimbledon in 2010. The Czech moved up to No.7 after winning his 6th ATP Tour singles title and really increased his chances of qualifying for the ATP Tour Finals for the second time.
The 1.96m Berdych achieved his career-high ranking to date of No.6 pretty much one year ago on 18 October. The 2005 Paris Open Masters 1000 singles title is Berdych’s only major singles title to date. If Berdych can perform well enough at Shanghai and in the final Masters 1000 tournament in 2011, the Paris Open, he can set a new career best ranking.
In a 56-player draw there are 16 seeded players and they were selected according to the ATP rankings on the final Monday before this event commences. This year the seeding was based on the ATP rankings as at October 3. The Top 8 seeds have been bolded in the draw below.
The draw for the seeded players if they all win through to the round of 16 is:
- Rafael NADAL (1) versus (15) Florian MAYER
- Janko TIPSAREVIC (9) v (6) Tomas BERDYCH
- David FERRER (3) v (16) Fernando VERDASCO
- Andy RODDICK (10) v (7) Nicolas ALMAGRO
- Mardy FISH (5) v (12) Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV
- Jurgen MELZER (14) v (4) Jo-Wilfried TSONGA
- Gilles SIMON (8) v (11) Viktor TROICKI
- Stanislas WAWRINKA (13) v (2) Andy MURRAY
The draw for the 2011 Shanghai Open men’s singles event is:
- Rafael NADAL (1) v BYE
- Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ v Somdev DEVVARMAN
- Ernests GULBIS v (WC) David NALBANDIAN
- Fabio FOGNINI v (15) Florian MAYER
- Janko TIPSAREVIC (9) v Feliciano LOPEZ
- Alex BOGOMOLOV Jnr. v Marcel GRANOLLERS
- ZHANG Ze (WC) v Radek STEPANEK
- BYE v (6) Tomas BERDYCH
- David FERRER (3) v BYE
- Milos RAONIC v Michael LLODRA
- Mikhail YOUZHNY v Juan Carlos FERRERO
- LI Zhe (WC) v (16) Fernando VERDASCO
- Andy RODDICK (10) v (Q) LU Yen-Hsun
- Marsel ILHAN (Q) v Grigor DIMITROV
- Stephane BOHLI (Q) v Tommy ROBREDO
- BYE v (7) Nicolas ALMAGRO
- Mardy FISH (5) v BYE
- Kevin ANDERSON v Bernard TOMIC
- Albert RAMOS (Q) v Marin CILIC
- Lukasz KUBOT v (12) Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV
- Jurgen MELZER (14) v Ivan LJUBICIC
- Ivan DODIG v Santiago GIRALDO
- Robin HAASE v Kei NISHIKORI
- BYE v (4) Jo-Wilfried TSONGA
- Gilles SIMON (8) v BYE
- Mikhail KUKUSHKIN v Albert MONTANES
- Pablo ANDUJAR v (Q) Matthew EBDEN
- Ryan HARRISON (Q) v (11) Viktor TROICKI
- Stanislas WAWRINKA (13) v Juan MONACO
- GONG Mao-Xin (WC) v (Q) Donald YOUNG
- Thomaz BELLUCCI v Dmitry TURSUNOV
- BYE v (2) Andy MURRAY
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about Shanghai-> Shanghai Open 2011 Shanghai Rolex Masters 1000.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2011