Last updated on October 14 at 9:30pm in Shanghai. Nadal was knocked out! See the latest scores and results below…
The 2010 Shanghai Open men’s 2nd round main draw singles matches have been completed. Today the 8 round of 16 matches will be played. We will keep you updated here at OCA with the results and scores of each match and the schedule of play throughout this tournament. Stay tuned as the fight continues for the 5 remaining spots in the ATP Tour Finals.
Pictured above is Guillermo Garcia-Lopez as he is preparing to play this single-handed backhand drive. The 27 year old from Spain is currently ranked at a career World No.35 and is playing for his career best result in an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament having never made the quarter finals before. The 1.88m Garcia-Lopez lost in the 1st round last year in Shanghai so has already achieved his career best result in Shanghai, which means he will improve his ranking even further when the new ATP rankings come out on Monday.
Garcia-Lopez is on a roll at the moment having made the quarter finals in Tokyo and won the Bangkok singles title immediately prior to Shanghai. In Bangkok he knocked out World No.1 Rafael Nadal in the semi finals on the way to his 2nd career singles title after winning his first one last year.
Garcia-Lopez uses the HEAD YouTek Prestige MP tennis racquet. To get the best deal in Hong Kong on tennis racquets and tennis gear click here. The player’s name that is bolded in the 2nd round singles draw below is OCA’s prediction of who will win each match.
The 2010 Shanghai Open men’s singles draw for the round of 16 is:
- (1) Rafael Nadal versus (13) Jurgen Melzer
- (9) Verdasco Juan Monaco v. (Q) Mischa Zverev (6) Davydenko
- (4) Andy Murray v. (Q) Jeremy Chardy (16) Almagro
- (12) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga v. Florian Mayer (8) Youzhny
- (5) Robin Soderling v. (11) David Ferrer
- (14) Cilic Andreas Seppi v. (3) Roger Federer
- (7) Tomas Berdych v. Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (10) Roddick
- (15) Monfils Richard Gasquet v. (2) Novak Djokovic
The schedule of play for Thursday 14 October is:
- On the Stadium Court at 2pm: (4) Andy Murray defeated (Q) Jeremy Chardy 6-3 6-4
- Grandstand Court at 2pm: (7) Tomas Berdych lost to Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 6-7 (4-7), 3-6
- Stadium Court from 3pm: Richard Gasquet lost to (2) Novak Djokovic 1-6 1-6
- Grandstand Court from 3pm: (12) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga def. Florian Mayer 7-5 6-3
- Followed on the Grandstand by: (5) Robin Soderling def. (11) David Ferrer 7-5 6-4
- Stadium Court at 6pm: (1) Rafael Nadal lost to (13) Jurgen Melzer 1-6, 6-3, 3-6
- Grandstand Court at 6pm: Juan Monaco def. (Q) Mischa Zverev 6-0 6-2
- Stadium Court at 8pm: Andreas Seppi v. (3) Roger Federer
Stay tuned to this tennis website for full coverage of every Grand Slam tournament and every major women’s and men’s tennis tournament on the WTA Tour and ATP Tours. Click this link for further details about the Shanghai Open including the schedule of play -> Shanghai Open 2010: October 9-17.
© OnCourtAdvantage.com 2010