The 2012 Singapore Open is the only professional WTA or ATP tennis in Singapore in 2012 and is an ATP Challenger tournament played on Plexipave hard courts from 25 February to 4 March. The 2nd year of this event is being played at the South Island Country Club Tennis, Bukit Location, 240 Sime Road, 288303.
In this post OnCourt Advantage will provide you with the schedule of play for the full duration of this tournament, the ATP ranking points and prize money that is allocated for each and every round of the event. The main draw ceremony will be held at the tournament venue on Saturday 25 February at 4pm.
In order to have both the ATP Tour men’s professional tennis champions playing tennis in Singapore EVERY year, it is up to YOU to share this page on Facebook and by email with all of your Singapore friends to help make sure everyone possible knows all the necessary details.
The 2012 Singapore ATP Challenger’s No.1 seed is LU Yen-Hsun from Chinese Taipei. The 2010 Wimbledon quarter finalist possesses lightning foot speed, making him great to watch LIVE. The 28-year-old LU is pictured above relaxed yet focused and in great position to play this double-handed backhand at the 2011 Miami ATP Tour Masters 1000 tournament. The current World No.64 achieved his career-high ranking to date of No.33 on 1 November 2010. LU equalled his best result at the AUSTRALIAN OPEN this year by making the 3rd round.
The 1.8m LU is the second highest ranked Asian player in the world. LU has played in all four Grand Slam singles events multiple times with his career best Grand Slam singles result to date being making the 2010 Wimbledon quarter finals. LU defeated former World No.1, US OPEN Singles champion and triple WIMBLEDON singles finalist Andy Roddick 9 games to 7 in the 5th in 4 hours and 36 minutes.
Please note that the tournament management can alter the schedule from day to day, in which case OnCourt Advantage will update them here straight away.
The ATP ranking points and prize money for the men’s tournament is awarded to the players like this:
- The winner earns 80 points + $7,200;
- The runner-up earns 48 points + $4,240;
- The two semi finalists earn 29 points + $2,510;
- The four quarter finalists earn 15 points + $1,460;
- The 8 players who lose in the round of 16 earn 7 points + $860;
- The *players who lose in the 1st round receive $520 but DO NOT earn any ranking points.
*The players who qualify for the main draw and then lose the 1st round earn 3 ATP ranking points. There is a 32-player qualifying draw. Wild Card entrants who lose in the 1st round of the main draw DO NOT receive any ranking points. The players who lose in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round of the qualifying event earn DO NOT receive any prize money and DO NOT win any ranking points.
The schedule of play for the 2012 Singapore Men’s Singles event is:
- Saturday 25 February: Qualifying 1st round from 10am;
- Sunday 26 February: Qualifying 2nd round from 10am;
- Monday 27 February: Qualifying 3rd round from 4pm;
- Monday 27 February: Main Draw 1st round from 4pm;
- Tuesday 28 February: Main Draw 1st round from 4pm;
- Wednesday 29 February: Round of 16 from 4pm;
- Thursday 1 March: Round of 16 from 4pm;
- Friday 2 March: Quarter Finals from 4pm;
- Saturday 3 March: Semi Finals from 4pm; and
- Sunday 4 March: Men’s Singles Final at 4pm.
© photo credit: Beth Wilson